A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Tips/tutorial on how to post good quality photos?

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Tips/tutorial on how to post good quality photos?

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 am

Whenever posting images, I seem to lose a lot of the original photo quality. Is this to do with scaling down the picture? In Photoshop looks ok, but when it's loaded on the web, a lot of the detail is gone.

I think a lot of us would love to see a tutorial on how to post good quality photos on the Web. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:01 pm

I don't have a tutorial, but I can help with this issue.

When you use any graphic software to scale down or save an image, it will usually be compressed. There will always be an option in the program that will allow you to choose your compession rate. Usually 80% is the standard, which should keep your images at a relatively small file size, without compromising the quality of the image. Also, there are options for exporting your image. Those are the options which will determine the file type when you save it. It could be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, etc. Choosing a gif will always decrease the quality of an image, because you are only getting a maximum of 256 colors. In most cases, you will want to save your image as a better quality jpg.

When using an image for web purposes, all that matter is pixels. If your screen resolution is 1024x768, that means that the maximum dimension that an image will be viewable on your screen is 1024 pixels x 768 pixels. So if you save an image at 600x450 pixels, that is the amount of your screen that the image will occupy.

Now, if you try to increase the size of an image, what happens is the pixels that occupy the area are stretched to be able to occupy a larger size, which lessens the quality of your image. This is comparable to trying get an 8oz orange juice to fit in a 16oz glass by adding water. Sure you get more drink, but the flavor is diluted. So when you save your images, save the original size. You can always make it smaller when you post it on the web. But you can't make it larger without sacrificing quality.

I would be happy to take this in to more detail if you have any more questions or if I didn't answer your question properly.
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (8.36 KiB)
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Singular wrote:I don't have a tutorial, but I can help with this issue.
Also, there are options for exporting your image. Those are the options which will determine the file type when you save it. It could be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, etc. Choosing a gif will always decrease the quality of an image, because you are only getting a maximum of 256 colors. In most cases, you will want to save your image as a better quality jpg.

Joe, thank you for your response, it clarified a lot of things. I tried to scale down the image, which was originally jpg. I needed to scale it down to accommodate the attachment size allowed in posts. I chose the option "save for web" in Photoshop, and "Optimum", which automatically changed it to gif. I know jpg is better quality, but it didn't allow it.

Is there another way of doing it? You mentioned exporting - is that another way of posting on the web? I'd like to keep jpg if possible. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:08 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:
Singular wrote:Is there another way of doing it? You mentioned exporting - is that another way of posting on the web? I'd like to keep jpg if possible. Erika

Actually, if you want to be able to optimize your images for the web, there is a great free tool that I use called Irfan View. It is an image viewer that will allow you to do things such as save images to different formats, resize and edit. When you save an image with it, the file size will be drastically reduced while maintaining the quality. You can download it for free at cnet.com here: http://www.download.com/IrfanView/3000- ... ag=lst-0-1

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks Joe for the great tip, I didn't know you can do those things with IrfanView. I'll definitely give it a try. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Joe, you're the best! I saved the paper vase with IrfanView, it's much better quality than before. And third the size. Thanks a million! Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:Joe, you're the best! I saved the paper vase with IrfanView, it's much better quality than before. And third the size. Thanks a million! Erika

Great! I am so glad it worked out for you.
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:04 pm

Good heads up on photo-sending. Do you know of any free, good,
downloadable compressing prorams? Thanks E
ehoeveler

Postby Singular » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 pm

ehoeveler wrote:Good heads up on photo-sending. Do you know of any free, good,
downloadable compressing prorams? Thanks E

Hey E
Actually, the program we are talking about (Irfan View) is exactly what you need. The link to download it for free is in the post above.

Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Muchas gracias, Joe! E
ehoeveler