A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Oil on Acrylic

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Oil on Acrylic

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun May 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Would it be an alright idea to paint with oil paint useing acrylic paint as a primer?
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Singular » Sun May 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Are you talking about priming a canvas? It really depends on what you are going to do. Generally no, because the acrylic, once dry, creates a smooth finish the oil paints can not adhere to. If you apply the acrylic very thin and maybe added a bit of water, maybe it would work. I am not sure, never tried. But the best primer to use for a canvas is gesso, which coincidentally is acrylic.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun May 06, 2007 8:09 pm

I,m thinking more of hardboard. Also I,m thinking about aluminum. Ofcourse with aluminum I would sand the surface. Make it ruff.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby ehoeveler » Thu May 10, 2007 5:59 pm

I agree with Joe about using gesso as a primer but the word I've gotten about oil on acrylic is that it's OK. My painting teacher actually works most of his layers in acrylic and then tops it with
a final layer or two of oil. As long as you don't use acrylic on top of oil,
(moisture is captured and fungus grows) you're OK. E
ehoeveler

Postby Singular » Thu May 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks for the info E.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Thu May 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi, Joe! You're welcome. E
ehoeveler

Postby johnwalkeasy » Thu May 10, 2007 9:34 pm

I primed a piece of aluminum with gesso. As I was doing it, I thought maybe it would work better if I first primed it with a good metal primer. When it,s good and dry. Apply the gesso on top of that. The metal primer will work well on the alum. And the gesso will work well on top of the metal primer. I sent my wife to Hobby Lobby to get some gesso. When she got back, she ask me was this the right stuff. I said I guess so.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun May 13, 2007 8:23 pm

I,m thinking that maybe the gesso don't work that well on metal. If it gets a little thick he seems to crack. Also I,m not sure about it wanting to stay on very well. I,m beginning to think that perhaps the acylic paint itseft may act as a better primer. I did put some acylic paint on a piece of alum about a month ago. Put it outside in the weather. It,s holding up real well. Today I painted over it with oil. So I,ll see how that holds up. I think it will do well. Also I painted will oil this weekend. I found it,s nothing like useing the acylic paint. It seems to mix very easy. Therefore one can not paint on wet paint like one can do with acylics. It wants to pull the paint right out of the
ush. Easy to make a mess of things. Need to have much more control. Things need to be in order. One needs to think a little bit. And ofcourse I,m kind of stupid. I,ll put some paint down on the patte And lay the paint tube right in it. I get more paint on me than what I,m trying to paint. Well, they don't call me dummy for nothing.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 am

Hey John, I think you learn most from your own experiments and mistakes, but you can find a lot of good advise and tips about painting techniques, mixing colours, oil vs.acrylics etc. on this site:
http://emptyeasel.com/ Check out the archives.

Happy painting, Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby johnwalkeasy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I primed a piece of alum with acrylic. It.s not that great a painting surface for oil. So might not do that anymore. Next time will prime with a metal primer. If you prime with a oil based primer the oil paint will take evan longer to dry. But I,m not sure any primer for metal is not oil base. Also, am not sure oil paint itseft may be a good primer.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby DLKeur » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:26 am

gesso doesn't work on metal. At least not for me. I tried it once and, man oh man. UNK.
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Any metal needs to be hand sanded and primed with a metal primer. Then gesso can be appied on that. What I have found so far is acrylic is not a good surface for oil paint.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby DrSirDrawsALot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 pm

I reme,ber one canvas I had. I bought it already primed and all (an 11X14 canvas). Well, it had so many acrylic layers because I kept changing my mind on what I wanted to do. Well, when I applied oil to it, it seemed a bit too slick. If you are going to use an acrylic surface, do it lightly like Singular said.

Although, I don;t find anything wrogn with going over the acrylic, and yet I find it easier if you use a thin layer of the primer on your canvas.
DrSirDrawsALot

Postby arlynnhr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:58 am

I'm working on a painting (on canvas) and have created all the texture I want with white acrylic. Now I have to decide between oils and acrylics to apply the color. From what I've read in this forum it won't work that well if I use oils, but my painting teacher has told me it should work ok. Has anybody done something like this before? :?
arlynnhr

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Arl, Acrylic will work very well as a primer on canvas. I paint a lot on alumimun. And acrylic will also work on the alumimun. But alumimun primer is a better painting surface. And the alumimun primer is acrylic. Before you paint over the acrylic. Sand it lightly. It will help slow down your
ush.
John A. Barandon
johnwalkeasy

Postby arlynnhr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:11 am

Thank you very much for your advice!
arlynnhr