A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Advice - pastels

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice - pastels

Postby Harmonygirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Painting surfaces.... I have been using drawing paper suitable for pencil, charcoal and pastel. I would like to layer colour (use fixatif) but I am afraid of drowning the paper. Is there a way to do this? The second question is, I have canvas board - is this a suitable product for pastels or just a waste of pastels. I used it once and it was really messy because of the tooth. Maybe a silly question but when you are on a budget, i don't want to waste supplies.... what is the best paper for pastels
Harmonygirl

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby weirdpuckett » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 am

try strathmore
istol board the "smooth" not "vellum"..you can use pastels and watery colors both on them...
weirdpuckett

Postby BYart » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 am

Hi,
I've been working in soft Pastels and recently watercolor. In my pastel papers, I prefer a heavy paper 140# or so and actually I like a bit of tooth. Even watercolor papers work well. If you can, get some pastel boards. They are reasonably priced and I think you will see better results in layering and blending colors. At least that was my experience with them. They have a tooth much like a sandpaper feel and really grab and hold onto the pastel pigment, and the best thing is this creates alot less mess while working!
Best of luck!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby Harmonygirl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:22 am

Thanks so much. I did use some water colour paper that I had a home. I was amazed how much more the colour stuck. I was a little frustrated in the beginning when I was trying to move around the colour, it wouldn't really move... arghhhh. but once I got used to it... it was better. phew...
thanks for the help. I will look into it when I get some funds.
thanks
shannon
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl