A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Hand 3D carved tropical stone murals

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Hand 3D carved tropical stone murals

Postby Makena Tile » Fri May 16, 2008 5:11 am

what do you think -

The murals I make go behind stoves, on shower walls etc.

I'm told what I do is unique in the world. Unlike any other tile murals
made before.

I'd like to know if anyone has seen similar murals.

Note- these are hand carved natural colored slate, quartzite, travertine
They are not painted, glazed or made of fired clay/ceramic. They are carved out of solid stone using large wet saws, 4" grinders, dremmels and hand sanding/polishing. No two murals are alike. Some contain ceramic

tile backgrounds, and glass accents and borders.

I make these murals by myself on the island of Maui in Hawaii. I sell them all over the US and Canada to private homes and to resorts

This one is 5ft x 3ft in size- Fully 3D carved slate, quartzite, with marble background

This one is about 49" tall (went into a shower wall in Canada- (the picture is warped on the top left side- not the mural)
Ceramic background, Glass border, 3D carved natural and copper slate.
18"x18" abstract mural (hung on a wall)
40" wide- Installed behind a kitchen stove in California 3D carved copper slate flowers, green slate and quartzite leaves, white marble background
Flat entry mural made using multiple colors of travertine with carved copper slate flowers
Close up of 3D carved green slate leaves - on a flowering plant mural behind a stove. leaves are from 10"-12" tall each. Carved white marble flowers.
Image[/img][/url]
Makena Tile

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby rodeodave2003 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 am

I think these are truly beautiful. Keep up the great work.
rodeodave2003

Postby BAReam » Fri May 16, 2008 7:25 am

I like these a lot... excellent craftsmanship and design. I particularly like the abstract design and the dolphin.

all the best... BAReam
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri May 16, 2008 8:08 am

I agree with Baream. Very beautiful.
Erika Takacs

Postby nonarom » Sat May 17, 2008 7:51 am

Absolutely amazing. How can you work so hard? You should have a very good physical condition! I have a great admiration for such craftmanship and I am a little embarrased working all the time only with the mouse on the computer screen, creating my digital images... :oops: All works are beautiful, but the leaves with white flowers look like a jewel! I am wondering how much time do you need to finish such mural work and where do you get the stones from? You are really a unique artist.
NONA
nonarom

Postby glomski777 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:10 am

They are really cool, I really like the abstract one.
The mere attempt to examine my own confusion would consume volumes.
glomski777

Postby skenyon » Sat May 17, 2008 4:50 pm

wow!
skenyon

THANK YOU!!!

Postby Makena Tile » Mon May 19, 2008 3:57 pm

It means a lot to me to get such positive feedback. If you'd like to see more of my work- my web site is MAKENATILE.COM - Its not the best website- but I'm working on rebuilding it.

The stone I use comes from local tile base yards, Home Depot, scraps from tile jobs I do... I'm a tile contractor by trade (tile installer) for 6 years and have been making murals for maybe 3 years now. I used to manage small businesses and am a certified paralegal. I've always been able to make anything out of anything- I just never could find a way to make money at it until I started making murals. One day- I'd like to only make murals.

Time it takes... well... It's one of those things- when you can see it finished in your mind- and see it in the stone- its only a matter of cutting it out. It's almost like cheating because your just following the lines your mind puts there- As artists- I think you know what I mean. I can make those carved leaves in about 3-5 minutes using a 10" wet saw one the general tear shape is cut out. Another 5 to finish with hand sanding. 18" 3D carved turtles take around an hour total- starting with a 18"x18" piece of slate all the way to finish sanding.

It might take me two weeks- even two months to compose a mural- but once I'm set on what it will look like- it's often a matter of hours to make it. My whole goal is to make it look as tho real plants and animals have been stuck onto the wall. My favorite stone to work with is Copper Slate.
MakenaTile.com
Makena Tile

Postby XELain » Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 am

8) These are sooo beautiful :!: :!: How long did some of take in putting this together for the larger pieces together?
Classic fibers,
ing its slate
Thirst my journey's roam. . .

Darkened light, a candle's plate
Creative image is sewn
4-11-08
XELain
XELain

Postby Makena Tile » Tue May 20, 2008 12:41 pm

The tropical entry mural took two weeks to compose the design, 6 hours to cut out and 5 hours to install into the floor.

The wide tropical mural with the white background took 9 months to compose (passively) and 3 weeks to cut/carve and put it together...the first time. Realizing I had made it 4" too narrow for the customer- I re cut/carved the entire mural in 2 days.

I am limited in speed by how painfully slow the ring saw can cut stone. And by how often I'm required to rebuild the saw since its made with low grade parts that constantly
eak. Revolution XT ring saw- an expensive patented saw made with cheap parts that
eak in as little as 3 days after buying the saw... Yet no other saw exists that can do what it does. I need it to cut out the shapes. I then 3D carve them with a 4" grinder, followed by a dremmel, then hand sanding. These steps are very quick. A few minutes each.
Makena Tile

Postby Bori » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree with previous comments, the approach is unique and the craftmanship is wonderful. It is impressive when materials are used in the purest forms and I think that you have manipulated them well. In a commercial sense they are nice, attractive enough for people who want to spice up their home decor. However I feel that your pieces lack some sophistication. The images do not match up to the high quality craftmanship. There needs to be more interest within the shapes themselves, you can do something minimalistic and abstract while engaging the viewer more thoroughly. You just need to step it up a notch. Otherwise great start.
Bori

Truth in materialls

Postby BAReam » Tue May 20, 2008 2:59 pm

Bori wrote: However I feel that your pieces lack some sophistication. The images do not match up to the high quality craftmanship. There needs to be more interest within the shapes themselves, you can do something minimalistic and abstract while engaging the viewer more thoroughly.

Bori... sorry, but I have to disagree with these statements. Firstly, minimalism, is, by it's very nature, is counter-intuitive to implying need to further alter the materials at hand.. i.e., more interest within the shapes.
Secondly, in this particular circumstance the truthfulness and an overt clarity of material is to be commended... or perhaps I misunderstood what you were attempting to convey?

all the best... BAReam
BAReam

Postby Makena Tile » Thu May 22, 2008 4:14 pm

what would you suggest? Examples please- of how you feel I should be more sophisticated. Could you please view my other work- and tell me if any of it is more what you had in mind.

I have around 30 murals posted in my profile album, and more on my web site: makenatile.com- I've made over 80 murals in the last 3.5 years- mostly tropical until recently. Now I'm playing with abstract stone and glass murals-

I want to make murals that people will want to buy-Not just murals that people thing are beautiful- but don't buy. It's very hard to know what people want. Who do you ask? It's my toughest challenge. That and getting the people who are looking for murals to actually see what I offer.

Thank you.
Makena Tile

Decide to Suceed!

Postby Amanda Pshyk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Absolutely fabulous! I commend you on your entrepreneurial drive and creative passion.
And I would like to offer some advise as a woman, an artist, and a self employed self-sufficient business artist.

1. Most important is the all powerful first impression, this is comprised of you as a person, your physical business location, and also your virtual presence (websites, advertising, etc.) How do you want to be seen and treated? Who is your market, what is your competition? And most important, does your overall image really match you and your talent? Get the opinions of past clients, and potential. Ask leading industry professionals for opinions (ex: interior designers, realestate, galleries)

2. What is your main goal? ex: you wish to only create stone tile art, you want this to provide all the needs of your family, and you desire to live in Hawaii. These being true - EVERYTHING then must
ing you closer to that goal. Distraction is our biggest enemy, it causes discouragement and steals time.

3.Having said these 2 things, next Make A Plan - business and personal. How will you increase your profit margin, advertise, balance work and family, and expand your artform. Then, and only then, can you move forward. Knowing what you want, specifically, is your best guide.

So to help you get there, here are my constructive critiques:

~get a professional artist biography, artistic statement, and CV/resume done for you. I read some great personal expression and statements on your myspace.
~create a website that does you justice,ASAP, and close this one(priority)
***Free listings like here are great, you only need to pay for the one you sell from. I recommend "ShopPal.com" very affordable and easy to customize, very professional looking and built-in shopping cart and everything you'll need. ***
~direct all internet traffic to your 1 main sit, less to maintain and the best for sales.
~ ADVERTISE!!! like crazy, website link exchanges are free and great. Join all the groups applicable, and find international guilds for artisans. This adds to your reputation and status, and creates trust for potential clients.
~get your official trademark! and always sign your work
~dont be afraid to ask for help, relationships with other artists can be priceless. Trade with a photographer (priority) to get fabulous pictures and video of your artwork. Trade for marketing & printed add materials, trade with interior desigers for exposure. And try auctions for lovable non-profit societies etc, this is cheap exposure, tax deductible, and people love you for it.
~separate your Art from other work to increase your status as "Artist"
~identify yourself as an artist, and people will see you as such
~google yourself every week to see what others do, make sure only what you want pops up!
~google artist listings/registries to add in, and trade fairs/expos.
~keep a little personal life set apart for yourself as a place to retreat to.

So thats most likely lots to think about, but you seem like such a straight talking go getter I figured I would put it all out there ;)

I look forward to seeing you succeed !

:idea: :!: :wink:
Amanda Pshyk
Jeweller ~ Photographer ~ Vocalist

www.PandaJewlz.ca
www.ShyArts.ca
Amanda Pshyk

Fantastic

Postby pehiatt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Your work is not only unique but strikingly beautiful
pehiatt

thank you

Postby Makena Tile » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Thank you for the extensive advice. I'm grateful that you took the time to write all of it!
Makena Tile

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Lots of good advise from Amanda - for anyone interested in the business part of art.
Makena, I asked myself the same questions after an artshow I just did. It's great that people say your work is nice or even beautiful, but what is that makes them buy it? How do you make it irresistible them?
I just saw your two abstract tile work, and I have to say to me they're the best of what I've seen. If that helps. :)
Erika Takacs