A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

charcoal drawing

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

charcoal drawing

Postby arlynnhr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am

I'm new to drawing...never been very good at it and I want to improve. Please give me your comments!
Thanks

P.S. The scans might not be very good...
Attachments
lady.JPG
lady.JPG (132.81 KiB)
hand.JPG
hand.JPG (143.47 KiB)
arlynnhr

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby arlynnhr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:50 am

Hmmm...it seems like nobody is interested on giving me some critique... :(
arlynnhr

Postby Singular » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 am

Sure we are. The site was down for a good portion of the day yesterday. So your post was probably not seen yet by most.

Hands are one of the hardest things to draw, especially for me. What I recommend is to study hands and the anaotmy and learn the shape, muscles, bones, etc. Start with lighter lines and add dark to form the shapes, rather than drawing dark lines. Here is an example of hands done by an artist on these forums. I think you will learn a lot by looking at them: http://www.asingularcreation.com/Forums ... ight=#1935

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby arlynnhr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 am

Thank you Singular. I have to also learn to be patient! :lol: The hands you told me to look at are amazing! I'll study them closely.
arlynnhr

Postby knapp » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:30 pm

I myself love working with charcoal. If you are new to the material I'd say you are off to running start. Just stick with it. When I first started using charcoal I thought it was impossible. But I just keep plugging away at it. I only recently joined this site so i don't have many charcoals posted yet. Once I do I'd like to start a charcoal focus page and will give you a heads up so we can all share tips and tricks.

You are on your way for sure.
knapp

Postby arlynnhr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 am

Thank you, Knapp!

Yes, I'm new to charcoals and I like them very much. I would love to look at your charcoal drawings! I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the encouragement!
:D
arlynnhr

Postby pamearleywine » Fri May 02, 2008 3:56 pm

I think most especially hands are hard to draw and look natural at that straight out position. You could try to practice drawing your own hands at rest in front of you - curled up in different positions. It is a good eye trainer and good practice. I do it alot - both hands, although I draw better with my left hand than I do with my right, it is still good practice.

I think for not having drawn before, you are getting off to a good start. I have a special fondness for charcoal myself :D Keep it up!!!

Pamela
http://www.pamearleywine.com
pamearleywine

Postby arlynnhr » Sun May 04, 2008 7:54 am

Thank you for the advice!
arlynnhr

Postby XELain » Tue May 20, 2008 8:57 am

pamearleywine wrote:I think most especially hands are hard to draw and look natural at that straight out position. You could try to practice drawing your own hands at rest in front of you - curled up in different positions. It is a good eye trainer and good practice. I do it alot - both hands, although I draw better with my left hand than I do with my right, it is still good practice.

I think for not having drawn before, you are getting off to a good start. I have a special fondness for charcoal myself :D Keep it up!!!

Pamela
http://www.pamearleywine.com

8) You did very well for a beginner, and I agree with PamEarlywine, practicing by drawing your own hands is excellent training and the lady you did is so stylish! :)
Classic fibers,
ing its slate
Thirst my journey's roam. . .

Darkened light, a candle's plate
Creative image is sewn
4-11-08
XELain
XELain

Postby arlynnhr » Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 am

Thank you! You're very kind and this encourages me to keep practicing!
arlynnhr