A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Framing of Paintings

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Framing of Paintings

Postby alexking » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:59 pm

I would like to start a discussion about how people frame their work, particularly oil paintings. When i use thicker stretcher stock (for my finished larger paintings - not small sketches) I usually just paint the edges of the stretcher gray, but recently i've been thinking about instead framing work. what are your preferred framing methods, thickness of frame, colour, etc.?
alexking

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Framing of Paintings

Postby Singular » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm

I haven't painted in a while, but when I did I always worked big. So I built my frames. I stretched my own canvas and then bought lattice strips from Home Depot for the frame. I used very thin finishing nails and then painted the strips white. It was easy and cheap and looked nice and clean.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby alexking » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:06 pm

alright, awesome. I've seen people use just simple quarter inch strips of wood, others (very professional painters) use brushed steel frames (particularly nice looking); I personally just use deep edged stretcher strips and paint the sides of my canvas after I've completed the painting.
alexking

Postby kevinhall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 am

Framing the art work with different types of frame gives the painting beautiful look. I like to make various types of paintings and always frame the painting in panorama print , just to check how much improvements , I have made in my work .
kevinhall

Postby FreshArt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 am

Framing your art work most times depends on what the people you're trying to reach with your art work wants. So a little consideration on that might help give you a heads up to what your framing should look like.
FreshArt

Postby St.Luke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Most of my paintings are painted on thin plywood (primed). They get a bit warped if I do not frame them with some appropriate strips of timber. The larger the surface the larger the strips being used. My usual frame for a 48" x 36" has one diagonal strip as well for stiffness. In this case, I use 5/8" x 1" strips - or thereabouts.

Paintings I wish to keep for myself are framed by me. Other paintings are left unframed but painted white along the edges.

My own framing usually entails purchasing various decorated (profiled) strips of wood from the hardware store. I arrange them, stain, gold-leaf, and varnish/polish it, according to the composition of the painting. Here is an example:
St.Luke

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Sorry, Guys. I get the pre-stretched at Wall-Mart.
ehoeveler

Postby MargaritaW » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 pm

The frame around a work of art is the finishing touch, the element that completes and elevates a painting, presenting it to the viewer in its best possible light.
MargaritaW

Postby WhiteTara » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:41 pm

The art of framing is almost lost now, and thats a pity because the phrase above is totally true.
A frame plays an essential role in affecting the perception of a picture or photo, and changes the way viewers interpret the image. The same piece of art in one frame may appear solemn or severe, romantic or wistful in another
Here is a little article with framing tips which I liked
http://www.apparentsoft.com/articles/fr ... t-framing/
WhiteTara