A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Boil Linseed Oil

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Boil Linseed Oil

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Have been using boil linseed oil. Do some painters use this? Now at Hobby Lobby a small little bottle of linseed oil is about 10.00.
At Home Depot I can buy a qt. of Boil Linseed oil for 8.00.
So am I not doing a good thing?
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Boil Linseed Oil

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:58 am

John, I just don't know, unfortunately. Your paint colors are fine - doesn't look like anything is affected!
I may end up doing what you do! And what about damar varnish? It is ridiculously priced as well!
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby mikewheeler » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:26 pm

John, that depends on what you are using it for. By boiling the linseed oil, some of the chemicals will dilute and either be lighter or disappear. So, you will get a slightly different look. I have found it to be a little more transparent, but that's me. I personally make my own mix of several mediums to get a mix that gives me a transparent look if I want, but I can also apply thick and gives me a nice gloss (but not so much gloss that you need to wear sunglasses to see the piece LOL). I personally don't see any reason to boil it anymore with all of the options out there to get the effect you need without the extra work.

Hope this helps...
mikewheeler

Postby eChrisClarke » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

You can find Raw and Boiled linseed oil at home depot and other hardware stores.
Raw will take longer to dry than boiled and boiled will dry faster than raw.
Both are the same product you find at art stores. They aren't specifically manufactured for artists, but there really isn't anything different. Linseed oil is the oil derived from Flax seed. Boiled linseed oil isn't actually boiled. It just had additives to make it dry faster 'as if' it was boiled.

You can find more information at http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infpai/inflin.html
eChrisClarke

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:28 am

Thank You, Chris!! E
ehoeveler

Postby RDS » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:37 am

ehoeveler wrote:John, I just don't know, unfortunately. Your paint colors are fine - doesn't look like anything is affected!
I may end up doing what you do! And what about damar varnish? It is ridiculously priced as well!

I've been all over town trying to find Damar Matte varnish- the only Damar Matte is in spray cans-- I don't do spray. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I've checked at campus art supply stores also. Maybe it's just a lull in supply. AND the stuff is way expensive these days. Over the last year I've noticed the oil paint prices going up and up.
RDS

Postby Singular » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

RDS wrote:
ehoeveler wrote:John, I just don't know, unfortunately. Your paint colors are fine - doesn't look like anything is affected!

I've been all over town trying to find Damar Matte varnish- the only Damar Matte is in spray cans-- I don't do spray. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I've checked at campus art supply stores also. Maybe it's just a lull in supply. AND the stuff is way expensive these days. Over the last year I've noticed the oil paint prices going up and up.

If you are haing trouble finding it in store, get it online. Most reputable art supply stores will carry it. http://www.dickblick.com/products/grumb ... d-varnish/
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby RDS » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks- I'll check it out-
RDS

Postby RDS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:58 pm

I make this as a medium- Mineral spirits (Charcoal Lighter fluid)- artist linseed oil- Damar matte varnish- cobalt drier. OR Lighter fluid- linseed- cobalt drier- Does anyone know if when I use the regular Hardware store linseed if I should expect anything different than what I'm used too? Yellowing - etc? I noticed the mentioning of dry time but the cobalt drier is strong stuff. I guess if all the linseed (boiled and raw) is going to be just fine then I've spent way too much over the years !! Does anyone use cobalt drier?
RDS

Postby Singular » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:39 pm

I use a very simple medium that works very well. 3 parts turpentine - 2 parts linseed oil - 1 part damar varnish. I do not use a drier. Linseed oil is linseed oil. I don't think it matters if you got it at a hardware store.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby RDS » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:32 pm

okay- thanks
RDS

Postby jannatul18 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:36 am

I have never heard anything like boil instead of oil but after seeing the conversation feeling curious to know more about this and how it make the artwork more exceptional!
jannatul18

Return to Art Discussion