A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Advice on Shading

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice on Shading

Postby CatieKat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm an amateur artist, and I just finished this drawing (it's a white rose, not a red one). I really need some work on shading, so any advice on that, or anything else, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

CatieKat

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Advice on Shading

Postby joeygn72 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:10 am

Try shading in the background instead of the rose. That will give the rose the illusion of being colorless.
joeygn72

Postby CatieKat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks. It definitely makes the rose look a lot whiter. I intend to work on the edges of the background a bit more; I'd wanted to feather it out, but I didn't (and don't, currently) have the right tool, so once I do, I'll fix it right up.
CatieKat

Postby joeygn72 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

If I understand "feathering" it out correctly you can use tissue of some sort, a soft cloth or blending stump... Glad you're pleased with the suggestion..
"The Supreme Misfortune is When Theory Outstrips Performance" -Leonardo Da Vinci
joeygn72

Postby joeygn72 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:40 am

P.S. the more you push the darks the further it will "pop" the whites out and make the rose come off the page.
"The Supreme Misfortune is When Theory Outstrips Performance" -Leonardo Da Vinci
joeygn72

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Do you have various graphite weights of pencils? If so... the softer (B-range) you go... the darker and easier it will be to get that dark shade without alot of hard pressure on the paper. ... Using a tissue or a smudge stick helps in blending.. aslo, do not be afraid of using the eraser (I use a Kneaded eraser) to remove shading in high zones.. this adds highlights naturally, but also dramaticizes your applied shading.

Last.. and this is a big one... Dont rush to achieve the finished product.
To achieve the nice gradient that you see folks achieve in thier work, the shading is done in stages... layer on top of layer until they reach the desired effect.

Hope that helps.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby katvision » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I like to make sure there are really dark shadows next to light. It will really make your drawing pop. Contrast s a wonderful thing when it comes to black and white paintings/drawings. You can look at some of my work I have on my page and I think you will understand what im saying! By the way I am a huge fan f drawing flowers, particularly ROSES! Hope that helps. Also remember start out light, you can always go darker. Not so easy vise versa!
katvision