A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

When might you be "Successful" as an artist

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Symphoneus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Just feeling a bit curious is all...

In the interest of all truthfulness!
I am an extremely conceited person, easily frustrated, and am willing to do some rather extravagant(stupid) things for attention.
I started drawing because I noticed characters in the media who I could use as an outlet for these feelings. I quickly became interested in the process through which these characters were created.

I took great pleasure in most media (I was young 8p), and had noticed myself as being somewhat talented at drawing (people said). Because of this, I decided I should be capable of pursuing my desire to create Comic Book (at least I still have my other dreams 8p).

All of my artistic pursuits are currently centered around this.

If I were to consider myself as being successful in this, I would like to have a small (probably very small) self published comic (I dream in monthly schedules), capable of achieving a consistent fan base of moderate size (dedicated too... 8p).
I am not striving to create something as large as "Spider-man" or "Super-Man". Hundreds of people have worked to create these characters. What I would really like, is to create a character that other people could say helped them to create their own characters (which is actually pretty conceited)...

Your turn!
The fate of men, might weigh on me,
But I take that sin quite well,
Only cold wins, in the dark it seems,
But I hear there's warmth in hell...
(8p)
Symphoneus

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: When might you be "Successful" as an artist

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Defining Success is really subjective... some people may be viewed as successful by others standards, yet for the individual they are still striving for Success, and thus its not yet fully acquired, or more the journey of success is more the passion, in which simply reaching Success doesnt satiate the goal, but rather the journey. Therefore as each goal or milestone is reached, another is set forth to acheive.

As for self-publishing your comic. You can do this, locally.. with a little area research... or via online print vendors. My suggestion is shop around to find ones who have done comics before in the past. For instance, here in Sacramento we have a print vendor called RAC. which is really versed in Comic needs... RACOMICSDIRECT.COM I am not sure if they do online or shipping orders, but its what local Comic artists use to self publish.

Once you find some reputable print vendors... start asking them questions... Print needs (they will want art in a certain format, certain dpi. Some have color constraints. Ask them about print quality - matt vs gloss and prices of each.. most charge by color and # of pages per book...

When you move up to professional in the comic world, you either get brought on as a permanent hire to a large company.. Marvel, DC, Dark Horse.. or you go the route of some famous Comic artists and Self Own your comic (Todd McFarlane with Spawn) , but have a large lable.. Image.

I would suggest start with self-publish local.
And get that experience, so you know the process... Find local comic stores who will be willing to put your books in there to sell. Self-publishing isnt cheap... so concider having an Advert page within your book, and selling print space.. this is a money generator as you get local sponsors to help with your print costs.

There are really a number of ways to go about it... just research!!! And use Trial and Error to find what works for you and your community.

In the end, set your goals.. and no matter if they are short term or long, always strive to reach them, and keep adding to the goal list for future moving development.

Best, J.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby rhknigh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Step one: set goal
Step two: achieve goal
= success. :)
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby Symphoneus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:40 pm

To jenn_iam,

Thank you for your advice. That is certainly something I will need to look into, if I hope to achieve in my goals.

Still, I was hoping to hear more about the goals of others, and how they might relate these goals to their own sense of success.
As you said, success can be very subjective. Although I am not a professional artist, I perceive success as some manner of professional achievement.
What I'm curious about, is how others might perceive their own success.
In life, I've run mainly into people who consider themselves as "successful artist" simply because they enjoy creating their pictures. I'm curious to see of others who might feel the same way, and if not, what those others might feel instead.
(8p)
Symphoneus

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Fair enough..
I personally, while I am concidered a Professional Artist, can say that I have still some ladder to climb in achieving success as solely an Artist. (Meaning, I still hold a second job, as art doesnt sustain a living alone). But am professionally successful in that I have and continue to be hosted in Galleries, and sell work on a professional level.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby denalester » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 am

I can understand what you want to say, every artist want to increase his artistic skill more creative as soon as possible. :)
An artist have various creative ways to show his feelings through painting and drawing.
denalester

Postby Symphoneus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Denalester, indeed so... And it can certainly be a struggle to maintain one's own creativity amongst the myriad of "How-To" (not to mention one's own personal idealizations)
Hmm... In achieving a "success", would you say you put more value into 'Expression' or 'Technical Prowess'...
(I'm pretty sure that I'm a 'technical' kind of guy)
(8p)
Symphoneus

Postby Artsupplies » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 am

First of all you need to set your mind and goal. Then work hard to achieve that goal. You will learn something new at each step and you will definitely get success.
Artsupplies

Postby MargaritaW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:37 pm

As an artist doing self-promotion, you are limited in the number of events you can participate in and the marketing efforts you can put forward because there is only one of you. As you expand your representation, you can show in galleries across the country. Now the effort you put into finding galleries begins to pay off in a big way. Each additional gallery now multiplies your exposure.
MargaritaW