A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My first watercolor: Looking for advice from others

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

My first watercolor: Looking for advice from others

Postby TortoiseAvenger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello!

I'm seeking advice on how to improve my work from other people who know the medium well. This is my first watercolor. I've never considered myself to be too good at drawing, so this piece is a major step forward for me. The look I'm going for is a stylized look that still has realistic elements, such shading and texture.

If you have any specific recommendations on technique, I'd be happy to entertain them!

Thank you for your input...

TA
Attachments
First watercolor
TortoiseAvenger

Re: My first watercolor: Looking for advice from others

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:15 pm

I love the colors and blending of your background sky, trees and grass. It might take me a minute to get used to the harder-edged 'nouveau' look with the clouds and your central figure. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 pm

I like the Nouveau/Deco application you've added to your figure... as for shading and blending.. in watercolor, its really about patience, managing water/color saturation and practice.

I would suggest do test blends of colors on a separate scrap peice of watercolor paper, before applying the technique to your character. Play with how the colors work together, and how they blend.. To get a color to varigate from light to dark.. or vice versa, test that as well..but play with the how much water you add to the color... more water + thinner color... less=More opaque.

When I do this light to dark of a given color, I dampen my 'to be' affected area with clear water 1st. then I add color .. starting at the darkest spot and working the color out across the dampened field to ensure it varies in shades... keeping the streaking minimal to zero. if I want the dark darker - I add more color... if thinner.. more water.
Remember to allow it to dry between stages, else you may blend what you didn't intend, or move color you didnt mean to move. Hope that helps! :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby eddieblz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

I like how your images floats in the background colors. I personally love the hardness of the images and how they contrast the background. I can't give much advise on watercolor technique as I don't use watercolor myself but I really like the imagery in this piece. Looking forward to seeing more work.
Thanks Eddie
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby peabarnes » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Very nice! Good composition and I like the way the figure and the clouds stand out against the dark colors. I like the stylized clouds. Great job.
Pat B.
peabarnes