A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Call for Art: ArtRage the Norton Putter Gallery Juried Show

Find upcoming art contests / call for artists or post your own listing here.

Moderator: Moderators

Call for Art: ArtRage the Norton Putter Gallery Juried Show

Postby bgates@syr.edu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 am

ArtRage Gallery is pleased to announce a call to artists for a juried exhibition to be held from September 6 to October 18, 2014. ArtRage exhibits progressive art that inspires resistance and promotes social awareness, supports social justice, challenges preconceptions, and encourages cultural change. All submissions must relate to the mission statement of the gallery. For more information about the gallery, and to read our mission statement, visit our website: http://www.artragegallery.org/about

The exhibition is open to all two- and three- dimensional media as well as video. Each artist may submit two entries. There is a $25 non-refundable entry fee. For more information, and to download the full prospectus, go to http://artragegallery.org/artrage-juried-show

One artist from those selected for this exhibition will be offered an ArtRage Gallery exhibition for a future date. All entries will also be reviewed by the staff of Syracuse Cultural Workers for possible publication. See https://www.syracuseculturalworkers.com/index.php

Jurors:

Mary E. Murray has been curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute.

Debora Ryan is an independent curator with more than 20 years museum experience. She was curator at the Everson Museum of Art for 13 years.

Rose Viviano is the founding Director of the ArtRage Gallery.
For more information regarding the jurors and to submit the entry fee please visit http://artragegallery.org/artrage-juried-show

For questions contact Bob Gates at bobgates153@gmail.com.
bgates@syr.edu

Re: Call for Art: ArtRage the Norton Putter Gallery Juried S

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Looks legit and I'm always a fan of the socially conscious art. Unfortunately we have to deal with a $25 dollar
non-refundable sign-up fee with no cash prize - the gallery makes bux while the non-winning artist (of which
there will be many) gets screwed once again. My mantra for 2014 is, "Pay The Artist"! A fair thing would be to
return at least part of the entry fee to the non-winners. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby bgates@syr.edu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you for your response. As an artist myself, I understand your position completely, and I thought long and hard before agreeing to help organize this exhibition (I am a member of the board of the gallery). While our main goal here is to reach out to artists who we might normally become aware of, or who don't know about our gallery, there clearly is also a goal to raise funds for our struggling non-profit gallery (the staff of two makes minimum wage, most work is done by volunteers, etc.). We are hoping that the possibility for one artist to have a show in the future, and for some to have their work published by Syracuse Cultural Workers, might offer some incentive beyond the opportunity to exhibit and perhaps sell their work. However, it is good that you and others point out how most fee-based exhibits, especially of run by for-profit organizations, are not necessarily good for the majority of artists. I will add that a cash prize for a few doesn't seem to me to really solve the problem, but your idea of returning a part of the fee to non-chosen artists might, a good idea.
bgates@syr.edu

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Honestly, I think you'd have plenty more applicants if that's what you're looking for and with the volume, you can still keep
financially afloat...?
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery