A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Acrylic or Oil

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Acrylic or Oil

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Well thanks for That heads-up, Zeke! I also thought that oils lasted longer...
Rebecca, Thanks, friend, for the well-wishes.
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby VicG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Acrylics serve a purpose for certain types of painting. If you were to paint like Morris Louis, stain painting acrylic washes on cotton canvas, fine. Otherwise they are cheap looking, plastic and dead. Nothing can compare to the quality, luster and hues that oil paints provide. A painting is after all just "paint on canvas." Paint quality is a fundamental for any serious artist, if not you are just an illustrator. I can't imagine great masterpiece paintings painted in acrylic. How that medium would have reduced them. Pick your own favorite old master painting and imagine if it were either possible or how it would look if painted with acrylics.
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Well, you have a point, there but I encourage you to look at some acrylic work done by some of our artists, here. You will be amazed. natureartist and Graphixcat work in acrylic and watercolor
and their work is sublime. Also, check out SER in the still life competition, 'Shepherd'
by daniellebeck743 and 'Self Portrait' by Amoravian. I'd rather see a really good acrylic as opposed
to a mediocre oil. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby VicG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:34 pm

The medium is only just that, a medium as a means of expression. A mediocre artist painting in either medium will still produce a mediocre painting. An exceptional painter, painting in either medium will produce an exceptional work.

My point is that an exceptional painter will achieve a higher level of quality by painting with oils. It is about the materials. Paint has a quality, canvas has a quality, (cheap cotton or an expensive linen) even the brushes you use will show a quality.

There is a painter I admire that paints with acrylics named David Hockney. There is another who paints with oils named Francis Bacon. Compare the quality of their paint. You have to view their painting in person to appreciate the difference.

I am trying to contribute what many artists were never taught or understood, that is "paint." Ultimately with any great painting the artist was acutely aware of his medium. Look at the late paintings of Balthus who added marble dust to his oils to create a delicate, tactile surface or the paintings of Fairfield Porter who incorporated the "Maroger" medium which gave his paintings their distinct surface qualities.

I am a fine artist and I am not impressed with facile renderings regardless of medium. One fundamental standard I judge a painting by is its paint quality. This is but one of many standard and I don't mean to over emphasise it but it is the subject of this discussion.

ehoeveler, thank you for your comment, I am new here and just testing the waters.
VicG

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 pm

You're welcome and I must admit, I like the 'juicy' or 'buttery' look that oils give.
ehoeveler

Postby clare.bear » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 am

I am used to oil and recently switched to acrylic, have to say i prefer oil for the results, but acrylics smell a lot less and presumably less toxic and dries much faster.
Has anyone used "guache"? I've been seeing that show up more and more but never tried it myself
clare.bear

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 pm

I've tried gouache but it cracks and fades pretty quickly. Maybe use a medium of some sort with it
to counteract those problems.
ehoeveler

Postby alicemaris558 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:26 am

Oil paint is mostly used by painters but the artists of Indianartideas are mainly used all types of colous and gives the unique collection of Indian and modern art paintings.
http://www.indianartideas.in/art-for-sale
alicemaris558

Postby Artsupplies » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 am

I use both oil and acrylic for my different paintings. Oil paint is good to provide smooth and smelly finish. I prefer water soluble oils than ordinary oil paints.
Artsupplies

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Here's my POV on water-soluble oils. I had a super hard time mixing the colors - I'd smash and add water, smash and mix some more, only to still have tiny globs of excess paint come out from the brush. The blending/gradating ability was a very slim notch above acrylic and the smell was surprisingly noxious. The stuff made me cough, so one should still paint in a well-ventilated area. Finally, the picture took DAYS to dry and that was with the constant application of fan/blow-dryer. Not worth it in my book. The brand I used is Galleria - they have decent, affordable acrylic paint but forgeddabout the water soluble.
A footnote; I'm using regular oils for my latest - great blending and since you're using damar varnish and turp, it dries
MUCH faster. I do also use the blow-dryer. I've painted 2 layers so far - they'll be dry enough to glaze over by tomorrow!
ehoeveler

Postby MargaritaW » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm

I like both techniques...
MargaritaW

Previous