A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Theta Waves and Creativity - Care to discuss?

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

Theta Waves and Creativity - Care to discuss?

Postby rhknigh » Sat May 25, 2013 5:24 pm

I am posting a very scientific web article to an art-centered audience, testing the proverbial waters to see if any of you can make the connection here. If you can think of some ways to link it to ART please feel free to share your ideas.

"Theta brain waves are truly awesome... After reading this you'll see why brain experts are *raving* about theta."

http://www.binauralbeatsgeek.com/theta-brain-waves.html
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26
Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Theta Waves and Creativity - Care to discuss?

Postby RELusion76 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 pm

I've heard of people using binaural beats before. Another way to get your brain into a state of Theta waves is by spending time in a float tank, AKA sensory deprivation tank.

There is one for rent in my area, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
RELusion76

Articles: 1

Postby rhknigh » Thu May 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Wow, I had not heard that. Looks like I need to do more research myself. The pulsating rhythms in layers in music really turn my brain on and help me relax.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Postby RELusion76 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 pm

The whole subjects of float tanks are really fascinating, you can usually rent time in one at spas, and stuff. The inventor of the float tank is really interesting to. His name was John C. Lilly, and he invented the tank to see what would happened if the human brain was deprived of all sensory input.

It was believed that if the brain was deprived of all sensory input that brain activity would decrease. John C. Lilly after making a float tank put university students in there, and measured their brain activity. He found it was the opposite, and brain activity increased.

It's really interesting stuff, and here is a link to the John C. Lily website http://www.johnclilly.com/

There was one that recently opened up near me. I wanted to put some time in one. For a bunch of different reasons one of which was to heighten my creativity.
RELusion76

Articles: 1

Postby eddieblz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 am

Here you go Theta waves expressed through art.
Attachments
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby rhknigh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks Eddie for sharing and for showing interest.

I am running behind, have to get ready for work (which has had me doing overtime like crazy, that is Summer for Public Safety employees though).

Here I uploaded my Theta figurine into an album in my gallery, only had time to put details on this one image right now. Looking forward to playing catch up this weekend!!

http://www.asingularcreation.com/Galler ... ?pid=67350

I will compose a proper, introductory post to Theta One as time permits.

Have a great one! Art on!

rhknigh
Writer

Postby eddieblz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:05 am

I look forward to disguising this topic further. I also have to get to work. LOL
Thank's Eddie
eddieblz

Postby Endlessfun » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:57 pm

With theta waves in mind and maybe apropos of nothing

a while ago I come across a reference to random number generating 'eggs' and out of curiosity wondered if any progress had been made. I say progress when I really mean is 'prediction'
I was thinking of the stock market and financing my next trip to alpha centura - anyway I was under a misapprehension, what I interpreted to mean 'prediction' was more of a real time physical phenomena.
9/11 for instance, the supposed random numbers generated by the eggs veered seriously from the mean –
Cbs has a report :
http://youtu.be/J9vnB9icFk8

There seems no real explanation for the phenomena but its suspected that it works on the quantum level and that mystical connectedness also seems to apply to us..
I shall now terst theory and apply my self to opening a bottle of wine by staring hard at the cork - screw caps are for plebs
Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself.
Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise.
Homer Simpson - [Not] M.Aurelius actually
Endlessfun

Postby rhknigh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Endlessfun wrote:With theta waves in mind and maybe apropos of nothing

a while ago I come across a reference to random number generating 'eggs' and out of curiosity wondered if any progress had been made. I say progress when I really mean is 'prediction'
I was thinking of the stock market and financing my next trip to alpha centura - anyway I was under a misapprehension, what I interpreted to mean 'prediction' was more of a real time physical phenomena.
9/11 for instance, the supposed random numbers generated by the eggs veered seriously from the mean –
Cbs has a report :
http://youtu.be/J9vnB9icFk8

There seems no real explanation for the phenomena but its suspected that it works on the quantum level and that mystical connectedness also seems to apply to us..
I shall now terst theory and apply my self to opening a bottle of wine by staring hard at the cork - screw caps are for plebs

I love the idea of global consciousness and the mind intermingling with matter. That is a very key thing I adore in art.

rhknigh
Writer

Postby rhknigh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:38 pm

It is still in the phase I call "chicken-scratch" :roll:

Writing about the Theta waves and creativity

Someday I will bring it into being and it should not suck = my hope.

I still have tons of research to do. Usually I do not talk about subjects still in the "seed" point. It is just something I wanted to discuss with creative types and I know this is a hotbed of creativity.

Please share whatever thoughts you have on the subject or maybe present questions for me to consider.

Cheers! :D

rhknigh
Writer

Postby eddieblz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Sorry I haven't been more diligent in reply to this thread as it is quite interesting to me. Lot of irons in the fire at the moment. Here's one thought. We know that logic is a left brain activity while creativity is born in the right side. I wonder which side of the brain emits the most Theta waves?
eddieblz

Postby rhknigh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 pm

eddieblz wrote: Here's one thought. We know that logic is a left brain activity while creativity is born in the right side. I wonder which side of the brain emits the most Theta waves?

Thanks for bringing up the right-side left-side question. I am researching that now too. I don't have a definitive answer just yet, that might go very very deep into the neuro-science (not there YET, lol). The theta is a slower frequency and at the lower frequency (read "slower") it is easier for the two sides to cooperate more in our thinking.

I have gotten to the point of typing up a word doc in my "article formulation" folder past the initial 2-3 ideas which I had more ideas scratched into the notes section of my journal. So hey, it is progress. Lots to understand. I am making my main focus about the connection to creativity, so doing my best to stay on point. I am at the 3rd paragraph and it might run long and I would have to hack it down. So, continuing on.

p.s. You should pm me what attributions you want included with the allowed use of your theta waves image. I mean aside from the obvious copyright attribution...do you have a link you want to include or a specific description/ caption?

rhknigh
Writer

Postby rhknigh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 pm

8) Ok Eddie I have the answer here, in researching the float tanks effect on theta- "Theta waves are generated primarily from the right hemisphere of our brain. Because of this, float tanks are amazing at enhancing our right hemispheric activities, such as creativity, inspiration, and non-linear thought."

ref: http://www.kalispellserenity.com/Sensor ... ation.html

I am almost ready to make the article live. Perhaps tomorrow.

rhknigh
Writer