A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

ERNEST HOLZMAN | L.A. BACKSTORY @ Known Gallery

Post your upcoming shows/exhibitions or any other art related news concerning you that you would like to share.

Moderator: Moderators

ERNEST HOLZMAN | L.A. BACKSTORY @ Known Gallery

Postby knowng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 pm

ERNEST HOLZMAN | L.A. BACKSTORY

Opening reception: January 12, 2013 | 8-11pm

Show runs: January 12 - 26, 2013

Everyone has a BACKSTORY. 

In February 2012,  I was two months from having a PET scan as part of my ongoing treatment for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This particular scan was significant because it would indicate if the chemotherapy had worked or if I needed more medicine...possibly even a bone marrow transplant.  I suddenly had a serious passion to do some work.  

I wanted to feel like a teenager again when I felt completely invulnerable.  And I wanted to have an adventure.  

So I decided to photograph a nude woman on the streets of Los Angeles.  Without permits.  Guerrilla style.  

We went to special locations I had come to love over the years and made pictures when the light was right.  A 60-year-old photographer and a 60-year-old 4x5 view camera which only captured one film image at a time.   

I shot Carly mostly from the back and watched her as she looked ahead...perhaps seeing into the future.  

This is the genesis of the work on these walls.  

L.A. Backstory.  
---
About ERNEST HOLZMAN

In 1974 I graduated from New York University where I studied music and photography.  I played drums in jazz and rock groups and sold photographs to the Black Star Agency.  

I enrolled at the American Film Institute in 1978 and was granted an internship with cinematographer Jordan Cronenweth on the film "Cutter's Way".  

Jordan and I became friends and he invited me to work on his next project which was "Blade Runner".  I spent the next few years working with him and learning about light.  

Eventually I began photographing television commercials and in 1989 I was offered my first dramatic work on "thirtysomething".  

For the next twenty-five years I continued working in advertising and television drama including the iconic "My So-Called Life".

In 2001, I was honored by the American Society of Cinematographers for my work on the PBS/Masterpiece Theatre drama "Cora Unashamed".

My wife Terry Anne and I are currently writing screenplays together.  Comedies.

Known Gallery / Main Room

441 North Fairfax Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90036

info@knowngallery.com
knowng