A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

No Focus

Everyone has issues and problems at one point in their lives. Maybe someone here has gone through exactly what you are. Come on in if you need some advice or just some one to talk to.

No Focus

Postby TaoofthRaven » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm

I've been continuously debating with myself whether or not to post this in a forum and the only reason I'm doing so is because I understand that sometimes to overcome ones weaknesses or struggles, we need to first ask for help.

I know questioning ones abilities and the pursuit of continuous growth are parts of every artist's journey. I also understand that nothing worthwhile is gained without hard work. I have no problem with that. My issue is that it seems no matter how hard i try I seem to lack the focus and self-discipline needed to push my skills to the next level. I'm completely aware of most of my artistic weaknesses and am consciously trying to overcome them. All day long drawing is all I think about and I am constantly running through concepts for creature, characters, and story ideas during my "day job".

Being completely self taught I've scheduled daily tasks and have written out a daily practice schedule to rebuild my foundational skills. Only the problem is when it comes time to practice my brain just seems to wanna shut down. I can't focus and all of the ideas that were there have now faded. Or worse, I start nodding off whenever I sit and stop moving around. As long as I'm up and moving I'm good but as soon as I sit to get some practice or personal work done, I start to crash. It's a complete priority for me but as drawing isn't something that's important to everyone, I find myself prioritizing over everything else; house chores, dishes, etc, until it's time I get sleep before work or I can't stay awake any longer. My fiancé thinks I have sleep apnea and possibly adult ADD. I just feel like that's an excuse and I'm looking for suggestions to do better, not something to blame my faults on.
There is talent, and then there is SKILL. I pursue to obtain the latter..
TaoofthRaven

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: No Focus

Postby TaoofthRaven » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 pm

As of right now my plan is to lock myself in a room as soon as I get home everyday for a set period of time, no tv, no excuses. If I fall asleep I just do. I'm not sure what else to do.
TaoofthRaven

Postby Singular » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 am

Well it seems you do have the drive. Don't discount your fiance's opinion. Adult ADD could be a possibility. I am not one to make excuses, ever. However, if you have a chemical imbalance, that might need to be addressed. It may be what is keeping you from being able to maintain focus. If not, then you need to figure out what it will take to caryy over your excitement from the planning phase to the doing phase. Usually success breeds excitement. If you find that what you are working on is going well, you will be excited to finish it. As you are drawing and trying to put your visions to reality, imagine the end product.

Maybe you need to work standing. there are drawing tables designed to work while standing. Put on some classical music to stimulate your brain and give that a try.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby TaoofthRaven » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks Singular. Yeah those are some of the same things my fiancé suggested. I definitely don't wanna make excuses, I just wanna find a solution to whatever my issue is. The chemical imbalance is entirely possible tho if only because of other issues I've had with depression, etc. I'm not however one to medicate unless I have to. I'd much rather find a natural solution.

For the time being I'm choosing to implement some lifestyle changes; a meditation routine to help clear and calm my mind, as well as some dietary changes and an exercise routine. Hopefully if it works I'll be able to show you through my production rather than just tell you.
TaoofthRaven

Postby Singular » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 am

That sounds great. I am glad you are taking a proactive approach.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby TaoofthRaven » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 am

Singular wrote:That sounds great. I am glad you are taking a proactive approach.

Yeah, wish me luck.
TaoofthRaven

Postby Menolly » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello. Here are some things I have tried, when I have felt this way: You might try carrying a pocket-sized sketchbook and a pencil around with you. Some of my sculpture and drawing ideas were sketched out while I was at the doctor's office for a check-up, or during my lunch break (the lettuce and mayo stains are a part of my sketchbook's charm, haha). Also, you might want to make sure your workspace is well-lit or you could try working outside because daylight will help you stay awake. You may want to experiment with some different drawing mediums, as well, if there are some you haven't tried before... the excitement and creative potential for a new material might help. Also, I am most successful doing work that I plan to use as Christmas or birthday presents for friends/relatives, because having the deadline provides me with some motivation. Maybe there is an art contest on this site you could plan a piece around...
Menolly

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi, Taoof - here's another thought - all the uber-planning
and scheduling is turning your gift into a chore.
I know exactly where you're coming from!
What I let myself do is 'strike while the iron is hot'.
Forget the chores (unless it's your day job, of course)
- your gift comes first and like a new baby, it never comes as planned.
So, remember these words - don't plan, just create when the
desire comes over you! Lastly - Keep It Fun.
Hang in there, Kiddo! E
ehoeveler

Postby TaoofthRaven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Menolly. I actually do carry around a pocket size sketchbook for notes and thumbs while at work, as well as a voice recorder. I also, more often than anything, use my Ipod to type up notes for my books and ideas for characters. I actually have a spare room now that I use as my studio, I just need to get in the habbit of using it, only I tend to feel isolated when I do. Trying new mediums and entering a contest or two are great ideas that I def need to try tho. Thanks again!

Ehoeveler, a chore is exactly what it feels like. I used to draw non stop when I was younger. In church, in school, so much so that I actually got in trouble for drawing in class and was grounded from drawing for like a month. I don't think I've ever fully recovered from that. I think I just need to relax and stop focusing so hard on the end results; remove some of the pressure. Thanks.

I sincerely appreciate everyones suggestions and hope I can pull it together soon and get back to drawing the way I used to when I was younger.
TaoofthRaven

Postby Amigone » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 am

Maybe you're just tired. I know sometimes I have to take like days (sometimes even weeks!) off art so I can reset myself. Maybe you just need a break. Instead of planning art, just take a I'll get to it when I get to it attitude. And don't beat yourself up if you don't. I'm sure you'll find after a little while you'll come back to it naturally.:)
Amigone

Postby TaoofthRaven » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 pm

After some talking with my fiancé about possible physical/chemical issues that may be holding me back; I finally went to see an actual doctor for the first time in well, probably 20 years. I'm told I most likely have sleep apnea, and after dealing with some fairly extreme fatigue to the extent where I start nodding at the wheel on an almost daily basis to and from work; not to mention that any activity where I'm not moving, even when I am sometimes, I can start to nod. Anyway I had some blood work done to check for diabetes, any chemical imbalances, etc. Hopefully I can find out what my issue is and that it's not too serious...better yet how to handle the issue. Just wish me luck and hopefully I can move forward soon, the way I should, no excuses.
TaoofthRaven

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey, Tao! We were wondering where you were.
You're doing the best thing you can by going to the Docs and having tests.
I'm sending up prayers for your successful treatment and subsequent recovery.
We're rootin' for ya! Keep us apprised, OK? Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby TaoofthRaven » Wed May 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Though I have had a lack of production as far as my creative aspirations go, I have been spending a lot more time focusing on my health. I've officially been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (I stop breathing in my sleep), and I'm told that once I get my machine I should notice a huge difference in my energy levels and focus. So wish me luck. Hopefully you will all see me around a lot more often.
TaoofthRaven

Return to Art Therapy