A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

5 Tips On How To Take Captivating Photos

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

5 Tips On How To Take Captivating Photos

Postby fanatics » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Taking a good picture may look easy, but it never is. Each photo takes precision, patience, and creativity. Everyday we see what we see in photos, such as, flowers, trees, insects, water, and the sun, but somehow pictures make each of these things even more captivating. So, how is it done?
Most of us think the better the camera, the better the picture. Although, higher quality cameras do produce a better resolution, the key is the person behind the camera. Here are my top 5 tips on how to take captivating photos:
1. Attention to detail is very important. Try not to get wrapped up in the larger view and focus more on the smaller things in life. For instance, yes a picture of the ocean is beautiful, but is it the ocean itself that makes it pretty or the sun glistening of the water? Focus on the colors, shadows, lighting, and surroundings.
2. Use variety. A crumpled, dry leaf may not be the first thing that pops into your mind when I say the word “pretty”, but take a second glance and you might see the beauty in its shape or color.
3. Be patient. Be patient with the camera and subject but remember to also be patient with yourself. The first picture you take may not always be the one you use. Take several pictures of the same subject to allow options of which is better.
4. Use different angles and views. Don’t just stand at eye level when taking a picture. Get down on the ground or above the subject to see it from a birds eye view or an insects.
5. Focus And Lighting. Be sure that your camera is in focus. You may need to use the options the camera gives you. Some cameras have an array of buttons for landscapes, close ups, etc. Use them! Be sure that when using a flash it is truly required. Set up your camera’s flash according to the lighting in your environment.

If you would like to see some examples of photos that have used these 5 tips, go to http://fanatics.imagekind.com/beautyofnature. I hope these tips were helpful and always remember to enjoy yourself!
Last edited by fanatics on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanatics

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey fan,
Thanks for the info. I tried the link, but was unsuccessful. Could you post the correct link when you get a chance?

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Sorry about that!!

Postby fanatics » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I have corrected the URL and it is working now, thanks for letting me know!!
fanatics

Postby seth93 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:59 pm

error 404 on the link :(
seth93