A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Help! Identify this piece's (Wm Shayer, SR)value

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Help! Identify this piece's (Wm Shayer, SR)value

Postby BYart » Fri May 23, 2008 1:27 pm

This is a bit lengthy, so apologies in advance.
I am new to this forum and would really appreciate any advice to help with this question I have-

Years ago(about 15), in TX., I purchased a large Oil print on canvas, at an estate sale. The label on the back of the piece depicts it is a William Shayer(SR), British artist painted from 1788-1879, Oil on Canvas (doesn't say print, but I know it isn't an original by the look of the texture). The piece is titled "Figures Outside an Inn".
I have done extensive research an cannot find an image(on net) of this particular piece, though I have found a couple of referrences to it.
I have since had a professional photographer photograph the piece to accurately reflect it's texture, and would welcome any advise on how to proceed in determining it's value or authenticity. I suspect it may be a reproduction, but am totally not convinced of this. Please help, any advice appreciated! Here are the photos of the piece taken by the photographer.
I do have other photos of the piece if you need them.
Thank you for any advice or help.
Attachments
WmShayer5.jpg
WmShayer5.jpg (68.15 KiB)
WmShayer4.jpg
WmShayer4.jpg (66.62 KiB)
WmShayer1.jpg
WmShayer1.jpg (100.88 KiB)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BYart » Mon May 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Anyone?
Any advice on how to research this piece or other comments welcome. I'm sure I could enlist an appraiser, but funds aren't permittting at the moment :oops: , so I thought I would ask for guidance, help here. Thank you.
Barb

BYart

Wiliam Shayer

Postby pehiatt » Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm

pehiatt

Postby BYart » Mon May 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Thank you for those links Pat!
I find it odd that I cannot find an image of this Titled piece in his catologued works. As I mentioned, I have found reference to it in a couple of web searches, , but no images available.
Any ideas? Appreciated!
Barb

BYart

Value

Postby pehiatt » Mon May 26, 2008 2:33 pm

It definitely is a Shayer. Works in private collections seldom are listed in catalogs unless they were exhibited in a museum and almost never have images available. He was a prolific painter and very popular (still is), Originals sell for well over 100,000.00. What you have is probably a laminated lithograph on canvas (pre digital).

If it is in reasonable (fair to good condition) its worth 100 to 150 dollars. New Giclee prints are going for around 175 to 200. Hope this helps.

This kind of research requires a subscription to an art auction/sale site. Even then you may not find much.
pehiatt

Re: Hello. I got the same problem

Postby claudiu » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 pm

BYart wrote:Thank you for those links Pat!
I find it odd that I cannot find an image of this Titled piece in his catologued works. As I mentioned, I have found reference to it in a couple of web searches, , but no images available.
Any ideas? Appreciated!

Hello.
I got the same problem . I acquired this tabloude antique dealers in France . I do not know much about him, apparently displayed a painting in oil on canvas.
Attachments
claudiu

Re: Help! Identify this piece's (Wm Shayer, SR)value

Postby TheSculptor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 pm

Looks Like A Really Nice Painting
TheSculptor