A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Light And Dark- Results Are In

This is where you need to come to find out what's new with the forums and with A Singular Creation.

Moderator: Moderators

Light And Dark- Results Are In

Postby Singular » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Light And Dark - Results Are In

This was a close one. The deciding factor was my emotional response from the winning image. It definitely had a very positive affect on me as a viewer. Congrats to all tjose who placed in the top three as well as all of the finalists. There were a lot of amazing submissions.

The Winner Is

http://asingularcreation.com/Gallery/di ... ?pos=-9368
Emerald Forest Uploaded by ccordelia
Photomanipulation

2nd Place

http://asingularcreation.com/Gallery/di ... pos=-10177
Muse II Uploaded by dev0nne
galvanized steel wire, fiberglass, light bulbs, mixed media

3rd Place

http://asingularcreation.com/Gallery/di ... ?pos=-9452
Curve of Light Uploaded by Pixel Eight
Photography
Last edited by Singular on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby chubster20 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:03 pm

does it have to be a new image just for the contest or existing image cos i have a perfect one ready...
chubster20

Postby Singular » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 pm

chubster20 wrote:does it have to be a new image just for the contest or existing image cos i have a perfect one ready...

As long as it is your work, it can be as old as you would like.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby BAReam » Mon May 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Joe

Just wondering how many pieces can be submitted. I have 2; maybe 3 I would like to submit.. if allowable.

thanks... BAream
BAReam

Postby Singular » Mon May 05, 2008 5:44 pm

BAReam wrote:Joe

Just wondering how many pieces can be submitted. I have 2; maybe 3 I would like to submit.. if allowable.

thanks... BAream

Hey Bruce,
You are allowed three submissions per contest. Check out our rule page if you missed it: http://www.asingularcreation.com/showdown-rules.htm

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Singular » Thu May 22, 2008 6:36 am

Finalists will be posted this evening.
Singular
Founder

Postby franklinm82 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Have the finalists been posted anywhere yet?

:)
Mary Alice Franklin
photography:
http://maryalicefranklin.imagekind.com/
franklinm82

Postby Singular » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 am

Will be posted here soon.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Singular » Fri May 23, 2008 9:22 am

Very tough decision as there were so many great submissions. There were many that I left out of the finalists even though I wanted to include them, because I am only including 10.

Good luck and all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby artrocity » Fri May 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Were there 15 finalists in a previous competition? Maybe I'm wrong. Too bad, lots of good ones are left out but I'm sure it wasn't easy to choose so congratulations to all the finalists!
artrocity

Postby Singular » Fri May 23, 2008 1:59 pm

artrocity wrote:Were there 15 finalists in a previous competition? Maybe I'm wrong. Too bad, lots of good ones are left out but I'm sure it wasn't easy to choose so congratulations to all the finalists!

Yes, there were 15 finalists last contest, but I have decided that is probably too many and wanted to give 10 a try. If we continue to get a very large number of submissions and having only 10 finalists becomes an issue, I may do 15 again.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby artrocity » Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm

That's ok, I was just wondering so thank you for clearing up!
artrocity

Postby Jundo » Fri May 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Congratulations to all the finalists... As usual, the standards are exceptionally high. I've cast my votes and best of luck to you all

Tris :wink:
Jundo

Postby nonarom » Sun May 25, 2008 4:17 am

Outstanding works - congratulations to the finalists and...to all others who've entered the contest, because, as many of you all said, it was very tough choice to give the vote - many wonderful images left out.
I would like to make a suggestion to the organizers, for the next contests, if it is permitted: I think it would be helpful if you would divide the contest in sub-categories (like in the community galery): digital, paintings, etc. and to choose 1-3 finalists for each. The main difficulty for choice is that you can't compare a great painting with a wonderful 3D artwork, or a nice digital - they could be equally good. In this way you could have more finalists and the artists who work in the same style could compare to each other.
May be I am wrong - I'd like to see more opinions relating to this. Thank you.
All the best,
Nona
nonarom

Postby Singular » Sun May 25, 2008 7:33 am

nonarom wrote:Outstanding works - congratulations to the finalists and...to all others who've entered the contest, because, as many of you all said, it was very tough choice to give the vote - many wonderful images left out.
I would like to make a suggestion to the organizers, for the next contests, if it is permitted: I think it would be helpful if you would divide the contest in sub-categories (like in the community galery): digital, paintings, etc. and to choose 1-3 finalists for each. The main difficulty for choice is that you can't compare a great painting with a wonderful 3D artwork, or a nice digital - they could be equally good. In this way you could have more finalists and the artists who work in the same style could compare to each other.
May be I am wrong - I'd like to see more opinions relating to this. Thank you.
All the best,
Nona

Hi Nona,
very good suggestion. It is something that I have considered, but in all honesty, I am afraid it would be too much work for me at the moment.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby nonarom » Sun May 25, 2008 8:43 am

I can imagine how much work you put in it Joe, and we all have to thank you a lot for this great effort. I don't even know how you cope with this every time. I was thinking may be you could do separate contests for different categories, to have fewer works to examine each time , with more uniform criteria. And, in order not to be so..."Singular", may be you could increase the number of people in your team for judgement (let's say, the last finalist from each category?). Anyway, your work is huge and you have all my gratitude for this.
Good thoughts,
Nona
nonarom

Postby glomski777 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:45 pm

I agree with Nona, I've only been in this community for a short period, but in that period I've been amazed at how good you are at this Joe! You always respond to peoples messages which makes us feel important, you make being here an absolute delight! LOL, I sound like such a suck up, but it's all really true!
The mere attempt to examine my own confusion would consume volumes.
glomski777

Postby Dorothea » Mon May 26, 2008 8:10 am

Some weird art, some artist? need
ain care :roll:
Dorothea

Postby Tcarts76 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:38 am

I agree with the different sub category thing as it seems so many people today are turning solely to mouse clicks instead of paint
ush strokes or putting pencil/pen to paper, but i can see the logistical problem for such a thing too!
Not only would it probably be too much work, but these contests are free to enter so in the short time i have been here i appreciate all your efforts here and really couldn't possibly say anything bad about the existing contest formats

-Thanks alot!
-Tcarts
Tcarts76

Postby Singular » Tue May 27, 2008 8:47 am

Thanks for all of the feedback and compliments. To Nona and Tcarts, I would be willing to create different subcategories for each contest to allow finalists for paintings, photography, digital, etc., if I could get sponsors for prizes for each category. For example: for the photography category, maybe a large photo site could donate merchandise/supplies/gift certificate. Same for the others categories. The main issue is getting sponsors. I need an assistant (haha).

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Next