A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Flickr - great place to show your work

Share your art related resources, such as framing, business cards, web hosting or whatever else you can think of.

Moderator: Moderators

Flickr - great place to show your work

Postby Teknowizard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Flickr began as a photo showing site but not long ago they opened it up to artists as well. It is for just showing your work and a community, lots of groups involving just about every interest imaginable and can even start your own as I did (belong to many as well). Its run by yahoo so showing and posting there helps in people finding you through searches. Then most of us list our site(s) in our profile so that if someone really likes something they can find you easily or contact you through the site. Like here they have both a free or paid membership. Oh, and has a slideshow feature too, great for a link to give if asking to be reviewed by a gallery or agent.

Mine there if you want to look and check it out is - http://flickr.com/photos/11645220@N07/

and my group - http://flickr.com/groups/intricate-insanity/
My Facebook Fan Page - Come join as a fan and/or set up your own fan page.
Teknowizard

Gallery: View Gallery

Flicker

Postby JimE » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am

The link into flicker results in a message.. This user is nolonger active on Flicker. Is there something you no longer like about Flicker's service?
Thanks
JimE
JimE

Re: Flicker

Postby Teknowizard » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:09 am

JimE wrote:The link into flicker results in a message.. This user is nolonger active on Flicker. Is there something you no longer like about Flicker's service?
Thanks

Actually its a long story but here's condensed version. I left yahoo (parent company of flickr) over problems of not being able to get yahoo to deal with a spammer. In leaving yahoo I was unable to log in to flickr and had to go through a major battle to even get my art off of flickr. That changed when the new management of yahoo took over so while I haven't returned to flickr I don't tell people not too because the new mgmnt seems to be doing things better from what I've heard from other friends that are still there.
My Facebook Fan Page - Come join as a fan and/or set up your own fan page.
Teknowizard

Flickr

Postby cincysportsart » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 am

As with every place you display your work online, I would make certain to add a watermark to your images...as I learned the hard way. I created a composite image with the permission of a photographer, and posted the image on Flickr to show her the finished product. Shortly after, I received a few phone calls and e-mails about purchasing prints of the image and/or rights to the image. Unfortunately, despite placing copyright information on the image, I later found out that my image had been reproduced and sold without either of our consents.

So, just be certain to protect your rights as an artist...especially on a highly visited site like Flickr.
cincysportsart

Re: Flickr

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 am

cincysportsart wrote:As with every place you display your work online, I would make certain to add a watermark to your images...as I learned the hard way. I created a composite image with the permission of a photographer, and posted the image on Flickr to show her the finished product. Shortly after, I received a few phone calls and e-mails about purchasing prints of the image and/or rights to the image. Unfortunately, despite placing copyright information on the image, I later found out that my image had been reproduced and sold without either of our consents.

So, just be certain to protect your rights as an artist...especially on a highly visited site like Flickr.

Agreed. As part of our site upgrades coming soon (hopefully by end of January), our gallery will support watermarking of all uploaded images.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)