A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Country Music Star

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Country Music Star

Postby rjsutton » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am

This is an 11"x14" oil painting on linen board. It is a painting of a drugstore cowboy who wants to be a country music star. Any comments would be appreciated.
Attachments
rjsutton

Re: Country Music Star

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 am

Nice. I like the background intruding on the form effect. But I am a little put off by that second peak area on the hat. It looks out of place. I suggest you remove it all together leaving only the one highest peak on the right. I think it would look more natural to the 3/4 portrait construction of the face. Additionally, I would make the face, only the front of the face with the eyes, nose, mouth and chin areas and hands a little more defined. That would create a visual interest of seeing the cowboy singer coming out of the background.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby rjsutton » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'll consider your suggestions.
rjsutton

Postby Eileen Breslin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:23 pm

I very much like the colors in this, and I love the concept. The misty effect of the background is most appealing. You might consider putting a few touches of the background colors in the white hat and shirt. Having them as the only bright whites in the painting maybe makes them more of a focal point than you want them to be.
Eileen Breslin

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

With all due respect Eileen, I totally disagree. It is the bright whites that make this painting have life. It puts the subject in your face. To subdue it would be to kill it. It would become just another picture among all the other pictures that hang on a wall or in a gallery. But to keep the bold presentation makes it stand out in the room. Looked at your paintings. Very nice. You have skills. But none of them strike me like this one. And of course this is just my opinion against yours. However, I suggest you take another look at this painting and then take a look at yours to see what I am talking about. Hope this helps you see differences a little differently. And, I hope it helps you to improve your painting skills.
CarlOwen

Postby rjsutton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm

I agree with Carl. Many of my paintings are rather dull and I wanted to generate some energy in this painting with the bright colors and contrast with the white and vignette effect.
rjsutton

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm

why thank you. Now take care of that hat.
CarlOwen

Postby Eileen Breslin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Carl,

I submitted a response a short time ago, but it hasn't been posted, so I must have done something wrong. I'll try again.

First of all, thank you for your comments. I appreciate your taking the time to look at my work and to compliment it.

My opinions on r.j.'s painting were meant to be just that--opinions. I didn't mean, though, for the whites to be subdued entirely. I only suggested adding a few touches of the background color to them, as objects tend to reflect to some extent the colors around them. White does that especially. I see what you mean about the contrast, but I wondered if the hat and shirt should carry more artistic weight than the face. But maybe they should, for the sake of the total effect.

I think this kind of dialogue is stimulating, and I find your thoughts insightful and helpful. I always value informed critiques of my work and of my thoughts on the work of others. Any other comments you have on any of my work would be most welcome.

Thank you again.

Eileen

r.j.
I really like this painting and hope to see more of your work.

Eileen
Eileen Breslin

Postby rjsutton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Carl, I made a few minor adjustments based on your comments, but only a subtle change in the hat to better match the photo I was working from. I attached the latest version. Thanks for your comments Eileen.
Attachments
rjsutton

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:33 am

Thank you both. Ron, the adjustments are so small I can't see them. Eileen, thanks for taking my comments in a positive light as I meant them to be. I agree that opinions are just that, opinions. I have also see over time that extreme opinions from both ends of the spectrum when somehow blend somewhere in the middle that the end result that synergizes into a new opinion is most often the best result. And, of course, feel free to make any comments about my work. This is a two way street after all.
CarlOwen