A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

What's important when painting?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

What's important when painting?

Postby icebear » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:02 am

I think before you paint, you need to observe things keenly, and then paint what you've observed by your understanding.
What about your opinions?
icebear

Re: What's important when painting?

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 am

Well that is one approach that is needed for a realistic reconstruction of the real world into a two dimensional flat object known as a painting. Nothing wrong with that point of view. Many natural representational artists have made a good living doing it that way. However, for me, there is a different approach need. If the artist does not imbue the painting with added visual interest, je ne sais quoi, and a level of passion the painting will arrive D.O.A. Ultimately the painting is the artist's statement about how the artist wants others to see the world, an idea, a concept, a concern or a condition of humanity. What say you?
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby icebear » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Quite agree with you. The difference between painting and photography lies in artists' feelings of the world through their brush.
icebear

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:43 am

Good morning. Actually, I think all artists consciously or unconsciously approach painting this way. I am still learning the pallet knife. Do you paint? If so, I would love to see your work.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:20 pm

A passion for it. If the passion is there it flows from your fingers, down the brush or pallet knife and finally onto the painting surface. The lack of it can be sensed more than seen. Look at landscape from, lets say...that guy Ross who used to give painting lessons on T.V. The work makes you feel nothing. Look at a landscape painted by Tibor Nagy. Don't know who he is? Google that name and click on images. Stunning, magnificent work. The artist has felt every brushstroke. One of my favorites. Albert Handell, Quang Ho. Passion drips off of the canvases painted by these artists.
Much of my work doesn't have it. I look at the pieces and must admit it. But every now and then I put something into what I've done that makes me feel good about it. I'm finding it difficult to be consistent about it!
As far as the mechanics of it, good drawing. Understanding color. I mean really understanding it. Tonal values.
The great ones have put all of what I've said together and it's why they are great painters.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Good evening Joseph. Nice post. I see this topic got to you. Thanks for your input. I hope icebar appreciates the passion you expressed in the post. I know I do.
CarlOwen