A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

it is the best way to dry oil paint faster?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

it is the best way to dry oil paint faster?

Postby chirchri » Wed May 03, 2017 3:28 am

Oil Paint dries by oxidation and polymerisation. The process is catalysed by metal ions and light, and is temperature-dependent. A painting in a warm, bright room will dry faster than one in a cold dark room - the rate approx doubles for each 10 degrees C rise in temp (but I wouldn't heat the painting above 40 degrees C - excessive heat will cause yellowing and cracking). Paints vary in their drying rates, some are fast, such as umbers and earth colours; others are slow, such as many of the organics (phthalos and quinacridones), cadmiums, and titanium white. Using earth colours in underpaintings can help speed the drying of upper coats. Very small additions of driers (cobalt, manganese, zirconium) ("L&B courtrai") can help, as can using an alkyd medium such as W&N Liquin, or substituting slower-drying colours such as cadmiums or titanium white with their alkyd equivalent (W&N Griffin).
chirchri

Re: it is the best way to dry oil paint faster?

Postby CarlOwen » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

I once had less than a week to do a portrait painting to present at a funeral. It took me three days to do the painting and three days to dry it, varnish it and frame it. If you blow a hot stream of air onto the face of the painting it will dry it and crack it because the paint under the surface is wetter than the top giving more movement than the surface. Cracks result. Dry the canvas from the backside for an hour then dry the face for an hour. Switch back and forth and back and forth for four hours. Let it rest for two hours and repeat the process. Do this for twelve hours a day for two days. It is a lot of work but it does the job. The spray varnish dried well in six hours. The frame only took less than an hour to finish the painting for display.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby chirchri » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pm

CarlOwen wrote:I once had less than a week to do a portrait painting to present at a funeral. It took me three days to do the painting and three days to dry it, varnish it and frame it. If you blow a hot stream of air onto the face of the painting it will dry it and crack it because the paint under the surface is wetter than the top giving more movement than the surface. Cracks result. Dry the canvas from the backside for an hour then dry the face for an hour. Switch back and forth and back and forth for four hours. Let it rest for two hours and repeat the process. Do this for twelve hours a day for two days. It is a lot of work but it does the job. The spray varnish dried well in six hours. The frame only took less than an hour to finish the painting for display.

Thanks for your adivice. I 'm gonna try it
chirchri

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Wish you well with it. Just be sure not to get the paint or the canvas to hot to touch.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery