A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Plein Air Painting

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Plein Air Painting

Postby Pooch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Imagegif hosting

I've decided that my work is getting a little stiff. I was relying on other artists for ideas and inspiration. I discovered Plein Air. It's going outside, as I'm sure most of you know, and painting from nature. Well, anything outside, really.
So I did this little canvas (It's only 14 x 11) to see how quickly I could work and if I could turn out something I like.
Well...I'm happy with it. And I'm my own worst critic. I'm ready to get out there in the fresh air and doing some art. Are any of you, out there, working outside?
Hope you like this.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Plein Air Painting

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Are you pulling (collectively) our leg? I suggest you crop this properly to present on the internet, find a contest and enter it and stop begging off how much you have studied and like the works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir.
P.S. Beautiful. Belongs in an over decorated gold frame.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Carl, that's awfully nice. Thanks a lot. I'd been away from painting for so many years that I found myself relying on other artists work to get ideas on how to do this and how to do that. I finally said enough and realized I needed to do something that was completely me.
Renoir! Good lord. High praise, indeed and highly appreciated. I'm going to do a few more smaller ones like this and then, maybe, tackle a larger canvas. Thank you again.
Pooch

Postby GoldenFalls » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 am

I find there's a lot of depth/a sense of perspective in this painting, which is really something with all of the abstracted texture of this style! I also love the bank and how it scratches into the water. And I can't put my finger on it, but there's something very cool going on with the temperature (no pun intended). It almost seems like the sun is setting into dusk, very atmospheric.

I've wanted to paint or draw in the open air, but I've never been confident enough in my ability to get the textures I want in landscapes. I've come the closest with chalk pastel, but I completely botch it with paint or graphite. XD Hopefully one day I'll dedicate enough of my focus to improve with that and finally try it out. It sounds like it's great fun and relaxing!
GoldenFalls

Postby Pooch » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks for the comments. In some ways I'm a little happier with this one than the larger canvas I've posted of Macy Lake. I like the quick brushstrokes and the spontaneity of it. I think that I lost some of that in the larger painting. I got too much into the detail. I tried too hard to get it looking nice whereas with this one, I just made a stroke with the brush and left it alone. I think I'm going to go back to smaller canvases when painting out door scenes.
Pooch

Postby Derexbrown » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am

so nice
Derexbrown