A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Tell Me What Is Wrong Here

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Tell Me What Is Wrong Here

Postby Pooch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Imageupload photos

My wife said what she thinks. I want to know if anyone else thinks so, too. I go by the rule of three. One person says something...well, meh. At least three, then theres probably something you should have a closer look at. Be Honest. Not that I have to tell you that.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Tell Me What Is Wrong Here

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:52 am

I once did a sculpture of a runner about 14 inches tall as a class assignment. I got a 'C'. I was silently outraged. The professor told me it looked Pre-Columbian from the waist down and Greek above the waist. That was about 47 years ago. I have now firmly in my mind made the decision that he was right. I see the same thing here with your painting. The train looks out of place by the crisp detail in the engine as juxtaposed against the loose and fast rendering of the landscape and sky. I think you were going after the train as being the focal point by making it more detailed. Just its presence is enough. At this point I think you can save this painting by putting more detail in some of the bridge blocks and the rocks on each side of the water, especially in the bottom foreground rocks. I think that would unify the two different styles present in this painting. I also think that it would lead the viewer into the painting by looking at the large rocks first then follow the stream up into the engine. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:29 am

Okay Carl, very good. As a matter of fact, THAT is what my wife said. I had a feeling she was right, but I was in denial. Lol! I've been working on this piece for two weeks and was probably ready for it to be done. I saw the problem but thought, "Nah...it's okay. Let me go and see what someone else thinks. I'm sure they'll think it's fine and I can leave it alone."
Good critique. Back on the easel it goes.
One question. She felt that all of the rocks on the left side needed more detail. Do you feel the ones on the right do to? Thanks again.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 am

Hi again. She is right about the rocks on the left. They are more faded than the rocks on the right. Bring the rocks on the left up to the same visual acuity level of the rocks on the right before you start the enhancements I suggested.
CarlOwen