A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Be brutal x]

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Be brutal x]

Postby Vai » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

Have been feeling a little stagnant in my work lately, so I went back to the fundamentals and tried a realism portrait, let me know what you think :]
Attachments
Vai

Re: Be brutal x]

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 am

I see these as more stylistic than realistic Rose. What size and medium are these?
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Vai » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Yeah, you're right. I tweaked the image to look more realistic here. And I used photoshop on a 1000x1000 canvas size. Still very stylistic though :)
Attachments
Vai

Postby GoldenFalls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 pm

I think your proportions are off. Your eyes would be at a good height if you were portraying the entire head. However, you only show the face, leaving off the top sixth of the head where the hair should be, but the eyes still remain at around the halfway point. They should be higher. An easy fix would be to add more space between the nos and the jaw; right now it is much too cramped. As a general rule, the bottom of the nose should be one third of the way up the face (I'm using that to mean the chin to the hairline), but yours is more like a fourth of the way up. It means that there isn't room for much of a chin, and that area looks very compressed. I've seen people with faces like this, so if that's the look you were going for then it succeeds.

Regardless of the chin, the face could stand to be wider. There should be more space between the eyes and the edges of the face, about half an eye on each side. I would broaden the face but also shave a bit off the eyes at their outer corners. The space between the space between the eyes is almost always an eye's width or wider, but I think you've got them well placed with regards to the nose and mouth, so it'd be easiest to just take some off the sides. Fixing the eye proportions is more necessary than fixing the chin since it's less styalistic/a variance in a person and more an anatomical error.

I mentioned it before, but I think the proportions of the features are done very well in relation to each other! The lips end about where the iris begins, the nose edges don't go much further than the inside corner of the eye, and the height of the nose in proportion to the eyes as well as the lips in proportion to the nose all look good.

I'm not as knowledgeable with shading as proportions, but I don't think the highlights on the upper eyelids would continue that far to the center, and the upper lip is very down-facing, so it should only have a highlight on the very top part if at all. I really like the shading on the nose, particularly how you handled the underside. I also like how the mouth looks three dimensional, like it's really projecting forwards.

I hope this was helpful!
GoldenFalls