A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

White Tiger

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

White Tiger

Postby rrsum » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:24 pm

And...he's done.... 12 x 12 acrylic on canvas panel.
Attachments
Rich Summers
rrsum

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: White Tiger

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 am

Beautiful of course and interesting. Why did you choose to use pinpointed pupils? Do you have a special brush for the long hair forms, or did you paint each hair separately? Have you ever painted really large paintings? If so, what were some of the compositional problems that you ran into? Going to stop now Rich. Thanks for sharing your work.
CarlOwen

Postby rrsum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 am

CarlOwen wrote:Beautiful of course and interesting. Why did you choose to use pinpointed pupils? Do you have a special brush for the long hair forms, or did you paint each hair separately? Have you ever painted really large paintings? If so, what were some of the compositional problems that you ran into? Going to stop now Rich. Thanks for sharing your work.

Hi Carl,
The reference photo I used for the tiger had pinpointed pupils, so I followed suit. Changed the gaze so it looked like he was looking at you. I used a #4 bristle brush for most of the fur, then detailed with the fine liner brush. I think the largest painting I've ever done was 30 x 48. Composition wasn't a big issue. I did sketch it out, of course, several times before I actually put paint on the canvas. It was a large landscape to go over a fireplace.

Here's an article on doing large paintings from a newsletter I get.
Painting Large: Size Does Matter
by Sharon Weaver

At 40x48, Yosemite Vista is the largest painting I have ever painted. What was surprising is how easy I found the transition to paint big. In fact, I really enjoyed it and want to paint more this size. What I enjoy with a larger canvas is how the scale captures the experience of being there. I guess you could say size does matter.

But before you tackle a painting this size, there are important structural elements to consider. A unified composition, with color balance and a strong value structure are all equally important when painting a larger painting. I would never attempt a larger canvas until I am confident that everything is perfect. With that in mind I will often do an initial small study to work out all the different variables.

Here are some things to think about before you go to a large size canvas:

1) Work out the composition. Any problems here will only be magnified when you go large so make sure you have a strong structure to your painting.

2) Keep it simple. Just because it is a larger painting does not mean it should be more complicated. Yes there will be more details but there still needs to be a unified statement in the painting that reads from across the room.

3) Be bold with the brush strokes and use large brushes. Don't use the same size brushes that you would use on a 11x14 painting.

4) Think about the shape of your colors and how they are seen from a distance. Also, your painting should be predominantly warm or cool.

5) Do the same thing with the values. Look at the shapes of the shadows and see if the painting is mostly in shadows or mostly in the light.

Thinking through all these important variables will help to solidify your understanding of how to tackle a large painting. By clarifying the process and defining the mood and atmosphere of your painting you can guarantee success.

Here's some information if you want to subscribe:

If you would like to suggest FineArtViews to a friend, please point them to:

http://faso.com/art-marketing-newsletter

Click the "Join" link

The Fine Print
This copyrighted material is published here with permission of the author(s) as noted, all other content is published with permission of BoldBrush, Inc..

As law-abiding citizens who wish to comply with our republic's anti-spam laws (unlike actual spammers), we offer our postal address below:

FineArtViews.com
PO Box 700534
San Antonio, TX 78270

Thanks for your friendship.

If you liked today's newsletter, please forward it to a friend, if you didn't like it, feel free to forward it to your enemies ;-)

Essays by guest authors reflect the opinions of the authors only and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Clinton B. Watson or FineArtViews.

We reproduce ideas and opinions that may not reflect our own because FineArtViews is about discussing, debating and thinking about Fine Art Views from many angles. As such, we try not to edit quotes or interviews and when we do edit them, we do so as little as possible so as not to change the meaning of the original author's words.

The inclusion of an ad in FineArtViews does not constitute an explicit endorsement. It means that, as far as we know, the product is not a rip-off. When we really endorse something, we'll tell you explicitly in an editorial piece. Otherwise, view these ads the way you would commercials on TV or display ads in the back of your favorite magazine. Check them out. Make a decision. If you don't like it, ask for a refund.

© Copyright 2007-2017 BoldBrush Technology LLC - Licensed to BoldBrush, Inc. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Rich
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you Rich. You sent way more than I expected. Read it all. The only major difference I can identify between the article concepts and approach is that I don't care about the final appearance of the painting according to my first concept. So I don't methodically sketch, transfer and intend to represent the original idea. I let it flow, discover and am often surprised by the end result. Other than that, I see that my approach is not that much different from yours. So, again thank you for such a full response to my questions.
CarlOwen