A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

contest's subjects

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

contest's subjects

Postby fredain2 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:39 am

Hello everybody,
i'm new on this interesting site and i've just taken a look at the different entries (abstract and surreal).

I find a lot of creations very interesting, nevertheless, it's a pity that much of them are neither abstract nor surrealistic...
It's always important to deeply understand what the theme of a contest is all about to take part in it and have a real chance of winning, i suppose (even if i don't know how severe the jury is on ASC).

I make a difference between surrealism and an improbable reality; for exemple: a giant wave engulfing some skyscrapers is not surrealistic; it's improbable and may never happen unless a gigantic meteorite fell in the ocean (like in the Hollywood movies)... in this case, we would be in the reality, thus a realistic image. There's no surrealism in that; it's just improbable and extraordinary.
I'd rather see surrealism more like using the reality to show something impossible in the reality; a giant man stepping on some skyscrapers looks more surrealistic than a giant tsunami, i guess (i'm not talking about it's originality... which is another matter!:))

It's only an observation; please, don't take this for a condescending opinion. I just find it regrettable to see that so many creations are likely to get eliminated, only because they did not accurately illustrate the theme of the contest, regardless of all the artistic talents. Good luck to everyone.:)
fredain2

Re: contest's subjects

Postby Singular » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for the conversation Federico. I appreciate your thoughts. Yes we do get a lot of entries to the contests that do not fit the theme. However, their art does get seen and that is the important thing, regardless of the outcome.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fredain2 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:35 am

Hello Joe,
i thank you for your welcoming contribution to this topic:)

You are right, it's an excellent opportunity for the artists to display their artwork and show what they are able to do in the artistic field.

I took the liberty of posting this conversation because i 've got trapped myself many times in different contests for the same problems (especially in the arts school) and i was once chosen to take part in a jury also.

This topic is just a way to friendly remind the contestants to be vigilant in their creative process because i suppose that most of those participants aim at winning a first prize, even if money must be not their first goal as you mentioned, Joe.

All the best to you also.:)
Fredain2.
fredain2

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Good evening Federico. Carl Owen here. You can call me Carl. I have read your comments as well as Joe's. Good points of view both. I see one as educated. I see the other as experienced. Both are safe and as I see it stale and predictable. So, I am introducing a third point of view.

Art like language is an ever evolving human experience. Customers are always looking for that "New Experience". That painting that defies being classified into one style or another. That special work that just "sings" to them. And once the artist succeeds in producing that work a whole new school of art is born. I wonder when "Abstract Realism", or "Realistic Impressionism", or "Impressionistic Reality" will be recognized as styles or schools of art. Anyway, I am just throwing this out for thought. What say you to this alternative thought approach?

Carl
CarlOwen

Postby fredain2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 am

Good morning Carl:) I thank you very much for your message.

You are quite right Carl; in reality, a masterpiece should be judged with the heart as well as a painting should be created that same way, i suppose, and new innovating creations are not only desirable but they are probably any artist's goal. However, some jurors are so (theoritically) stricts that they could use the defying style classification you mentioned as a reproach to sort out the participants in a contest, assuming that they are supposed to strictly fit the theme expected, of course. That's the reason why, being new on this site, i mentioned the fact that i didn't know how strict the ASC jury was... I hope that they share your vision, Carl.:)

Also, being or trying to be innovative in one's creation is not incompatible with fitting a specific theme perfectly, is it?
This could be a double challenge that would make the creation all the more admirable for it.

Best regards, Carl:)
fredain2

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 am

Good morning Federico. Nice talking with you. Thank you. As to your wondering about the contest judge, it is my observation that Neoclassicism is the preferred style for winning. Just scroll through the winners and honorable mention submissions. Occasionally, an abstract piece will receive recognition. Paintings of people win over any other subject matter. But even given that, the painting must connect with the viewer by telling a story, or have a poignancy, display emotion, a sharpness, or clarity of concept, even if subtle. It is a painting a person would want to look at again and again. This judge does not seem to be to ridged about execution of a particular style to the point that it overrides the presentation of good work. I think he is growing by presenting this category of surrealism and abstract. It is a first on this site. Nice. Hope my observation and opinion helps you get the lay of the land so to speak.

Wish you well,
Carl
CarlOwen

Postby fredain2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 am

Good morning Carl,
i thank you for putting a light on the matter:)
It's a pleasure to read you Carl. I wish you all the best also.

Alain:)
fredain2

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Good evening Alain. Thank you. If you wish, I welcome you to take a look at my work here and at carlowenpaintings.com. From your choice of words and concepts you have chosen to express, I see you as a man of honor with an intellectually curious mind. You can give any type of critique, or not. Your choice. You cannot hurt my feelings, to old, to experienced and have a skin far to thick to take offense. I also have a post in the fury forum where I am posting an in process step by step painting of the Grand Canyon. I am offering this simply because I am curious to see how someone not a close friend would see my work. Look forward to seeing what you think.
Carl
CarlOwen

Postby fredain2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:28 am

Good morning Carl (over here in Europe, it's lunchtime;))

I thank you for your compliment; i appreciate that even if your pleasant description of me is too magnified!:):)

Well, it will be a honor for me to talk to you about your art.
I'll take a look at your work with pleasure for sure to have a conversation with you. I already took the liberty of vieuwing your port on here (after your first contribution to this forum topic) and i liked it objectively. But i'll try to share my opinion more deeply after a look at your site, Carl.

Have a good day.:)
Alain
fredain2

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:38 am

Good morning Alain. Thank you. I am going to keep my greetings time specific to my location. Easier for me. I plan a productive day today. Finishing the building of some storage shelves for my paintings, stuff and my wife's craft products. Your have a good rest of the day also.

Carl
CarlOwen