A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Art Galleries

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

Art Galleries

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello, John here.

Just a word here about art galleries.
I been fooling for about 40 years with art galleries. I've seen a ghange in the way they kinda work.
Back in the eighties I was able to get into a good number of galleries. But art galleries would kinda come and go.
And when they went, they took my work with them. By the time the 90's came around. I had stop placing work
in them. And I petty well hav'nt delt with them in 20 years.
Well, back in 2014. I had to, due to heath reasons, retire from 50 years in the metal trade. So I had started
fooling with galleries again.
But things are so much differnt now. It's real hard to place work in art galleries. Why is this?
Well, this is what I think.
Today, in 2016, Art galleries are more about image than art. Most of them don't evan make any money.
Thier just there for a keep up with the Jones thing.
And their all the same. Same kind of art, same kind of decor, And you wonder if the people in there perhaps have
batteies in their back. I went into one. And some lady was sitting at a desk. And I wondered if she was evan alive.
I went by one at one time, looked in the window and seen a lot of people standing around with drinks in their hands.
It was like looking in a store window at store dummies. I said let me away from here.
And where in the hell do they get the art in these places. I see the same kind of work at the good will store.
Maybe that's where they get it.
Well, that's my take on it. And you know, I was born in 1948. I wish I had been born in 1928.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Art Galleries

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:11 am

John, the LOL thing! I was born in 1945 and I see the same kind of thing here in Santa Fe. We also have a Goodwill store. There are some good galleries here. The one in the La Fonda hotel seems dedicated to Russian painters. Really good stuff. Another one is down the street a bit from it. Great sculptures and paintings, but they don't accept any work from any artists not very well known. Some galleries on Canyon Road charge a wall space fee and then take a 50% commission on the sale. I think the thing that makes all the work look alike is the acrylic paintings. Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Return to Shoot The Breeze