A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

What is the hardest part when you start drawing?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

What is the hardest part when you start drawing?

Postby jannatul18 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:45 am

As an artist what do you think, which is the most difficult or hardest part in creating an artwork? And how do you overcome that situation?
jannatul18

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: What is the hardest part when you start drawing?

Postby www-ksart-se » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 am

Inspiration. I don't, if I have it I have it. If not I dont get anything done.
www-ksart-se

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 am

I think your question goes to the heart of the spirit of creating, not just the mechanics. I agree with Kristian to a point. The second hardest part is being able to push through. Sometimes that is actually the hardest part. You ask yourself far to many questions. Am I good enough, why can't I think of anything, why am I doing this stuff anyway? Then you go into a tailspin about how many other artists are so much better than you are. But, most often just before you crash and burn you somehow come out of that spin with a thought about, well maybe if I tried this. That is the point when you recover and start creating something. Then you laugh at yourself for asking yourself about why I am doing this stuff anyway. Some truths are simple, but often forgotten. You must, you simply must. It is in your DNA, it is in your heart, and even deeper than that. So, when you need to ask these questions or feel no inspiration, close your eyes for a time and just let images, colors and ultimately ideas run across the inside of your eyelids. One to fifty will be so powerful you must make it manifest into reality. Hope this kind of sort of helps.
CarlOwen

Postby jannatul18 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:42 am

CarlOwen wrote:I think your question goes to the heart of the spirit of creating, not just the mechanics. I agree with Kristian to a point. The second hardest part is being able to push through. Sometimes that is actually the hardest part. You ask yourself far to many questions. Am I good enough, why can't I think of anything, why am I doing this stuff anyway? Then you go into a tailspin about how many other artists are so much better than you are. But, most often just before you crash and burn you somehow come out of that spin with a thought about, well maybe if I tried this. That is the point when you recover and start creating something. Then you laugh at yourself for asking yourself about why I am doing this stuff anyway. Some truths are simple, but often forgotten. You must, you simply must. It is in your DNA, it is in your heart, and even deeper than that. So, when you need to ask these questions or feel no inspiration, close your eyes for a time and just let images, colors and ultimately ideas run across the inside of your eyelids. One to fifty will be so powerful you must make it manifest into reality. Hope this kind of sort of helps.

You have just told the things I always feel deep inside in my heart! Some moments are really depressing as well being an artist, but then I just let my thoughts fly free along with the colors! Thank you for sharing your thought :)
jannatul18

Postby jannatul18 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:43 am

www-ksart-se wrote:Inspiration. I don't, if I have it I have it. If not I dont get anything done.

I agree..inspiration is the way an artist can make their imagination true!
jannatul18

Postby Artsupplies » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 am

I agree with previous comment inspiration is necessary to express our imaginations in the form of art. I feel problem in facial expressions.
Artsupplies

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I have read this post off and on for awhile now and just have to say a few more things. Creating a true work of art is not a trivial act. It is an exercise of thought, skill and personal judgement at personal financial and emotional expense. On a deeper level it is the personification of the artist's spirit to express human connectivity, to present an object of beauty worthy of the test of time and to lay lasting claim to the fact that the artist actually lived and left something of worth to the rest of humanity because that artist lived as a human being on this planet.
CarlOwen

Postby Ravenstar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 am

Honestly?

• Learning to SEE what is there and not what your brain has decided whatever you are drawing SHOULD look like. It's all about learning to observe very carefully.. example; shadows have colour! (they really do) but it isn't something people notice usually.. this is one thing that can bring a drawing or painting to life when used creatively. When was the first time you noticed reflected light? The face in the weird pattern in your floor tiles? Our mind creates 'symbols' of how things are... like the idea that apples are red and round, but when you actually draw an apple for the first time...you will see that your brain has lied to you. Observe and draw enough to quiet this part of the mind and your drawing will improve drastically.

Making yourself draw things that seem difficult or 'boring' to improve... it takes time, patience and a lot of practice to draw really well, though I believe anyone can learn basic draftsmanship, it takes an artists' view and passion to put personality into a drawing through skillful use of media, line and all the other aspects of rendering. You are training your eyes and your hand to do something new, you are training your brain to recognize pattern, composition, detail, gesture...to see edges and meaning, and most of all to choose what's important and emphasize it. I seriously suggest to anyone who really wants to learn to draw well to take life drawing classes, or join a life-drawing club. Nothing will improve your drawing skills like drawing the human figure from life, especially when pushing yourself to do 30 minute, 10 minute and quick gestures. Drawing PleinAir is good practice too... nature has more shapes, patterns, variety and inspiration than anything, and it's challenging. Carry a sketchbook at all times (a little one) and jot down neat shapes, compositions and things that grab your attention... make notes. :) This is the start of what I call, 'feeding the well' and it's the base of great art later. Also, copying the great masters work is really good practice for learning about value and composition. Try different media.. pencil, charcoal, pen and ink.

This is a biggie... comparing yourself to others. Don't. Keep your art journals, sketchbooks, date your work... you don't have to show them to anyone... and you probably shouldn't at first so you can develop your own idea of your skill level and style... look back from time to time to see where and how you have improved, and where you want to go. Remember that friends and family won't always be able to give honest feedback, ask other artists...study those who's style you want to learn.. most of all, have fun an be easy on yourself—the best art comes when you can play and give yourself the permission to experiment, to fail and to follow your instincts. :)
Ravenstar

Postby jannatul18 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:40 am

Artsupplies wrote:I agree with previous comment inspiration is necessary to express our imaginations in the form of art. I feel problem in facial expressions.

Yes it does indeed!
jannatul18

Postby jannatul18 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 am

CarlOwen wrote:I have read this post off and on for awhile now and just have to say a few more things. Creating a true work of art is not a trivial act. It is an exercise of thought, skill and personal judgement at personal financial and emotional expense. On a deeper level it is the personification of the artist's spirit to express human connectivity, to present an object of beauty worthy of the test of time and to lay lasting claim to the fact that the artist actually lived and left something of worth to the rest of humanity because that artist lived as a human being on this planet.

I am quite agree with you and thank you for sharing your own perspective here as well.
jannatul18