A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Contemporary and Modern artwork

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Contemporary and Modern artwork

Postby tanya22 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 am

What is the difference between contemporary and modern artwork? I am confusing when I see these types of art. Please help.
tanya22

Re: Contemporary and Modern artwork

Postby eddieblz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:41 am

Actually the Modern art movement started around Mid 1880's- 1960's. With such artist as Franz Marc, Macke, Jawlensky, James Ensor (one of my favorites) Salvador Dali, Mantisse and there was so many others. It include the start of such movements as expressionism, Impressionism, Abstract, Neo-impressionism, Dadaism, Surrealism and Contemporary art . To show how far back it goes, Vincent Van Gogh (my all time favorite) and Toulouse Lautrec were to of the earliest pioneers in the movement. The movement was a break away from the classical styles taught in the art schools at the time and in the beginning, most art circles didn't even consider it to be art. Dadaists challenged that belief by saying anything is art, if the artist says it is. In other words art is in the eye of the beholder. To show how far they went Dada is a nonsensical term made up by several artist's to fly in the face of the traditional art community. Contemporary art is just another movement in the modern art era. Most advertisements today use contemporary art. I guess because I myself am a graphic artist I would be considered a contemporary artist. The modern art era is still going today. But in all reality, all the labels that have been put on modern art has been an attempt by the traditional art community to explain the whole modern art era. The movement itself was an attempt to shed those labels.
Eddie.
eddieblz

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)