A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Painting process - Sinful (NSFW)

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Painting process - Sinful (NSFW)

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:15 pm

I recently finished a painting and I thought I would share the steps I used to complete the painting.

My favorite reclining nude painting is "Nuda" by Giacomo Grosso. I have always wanted to do something similar and I eventually came up with an idea.

I obtained the photo references, selected the model and props I needed and composed the image I wanted to create. Using my finished photo as reference, I then drew a simple outline of the figure and other elements for the image on Strathmore 400 paper.

This paper was then adhered to a hardwood panel with acrylic mat medium (three coats, sanded). Once dry I then sculpted texture on the surface (acrylic gel medium) for textures in the sheep skin rug and areas of the model's hair.

Once this was dry I began the painting and started blocking in colors.

painterx@hotmail.com

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Painting process - Sinful (NSFW)

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:17 pm

From here I continued layering paint to obtain the colors and toes I wanted, using my photo composite as reference.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 pm

I first placed darker tones on the sheepskin rug and then added lighter color on top. Referencing the rug I bought from eBay I could see how it was effected by light, with deeper hues near the skin and nearly white up top. In some cases the hairs actually looked gray depending on the direction of the light. I knew I could not use photos for the rug, hence the on-line purchase of a sample piece. The effect of light on the fur was something a photo couldn't really capture.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:28 pm

While the pillow and pearls were added after the model posed (it was an element I realized was needed when composing the photos in Photoshop) I knew that the sterile photo would have to be modified by adding colors no apparent in my photos. The underside would require some pink from the reflection of the model while the darker areas would require a touch of brown from the wallpaper. I've always been fascinated with the way light reflects off of pearls and the way light illuminates them internally.

The dish of candy helps tell a story and evokes the sentiment I was trying to express.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:31 pm

And here is the finished painting. It will take a few weeks of drying before I can put on a coat of retouch varnish and fix the dead dry spots that mostly appear in the background.

My approach was to paint from left to right and back to front.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby Singular » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks for sharing your progress. This is outstanding.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Thank-you very much. I'm quite pleased with the results.
painterx@hotmail.com