A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

How to list art medium?

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

How to list art medium?

Postby Talleyhostudios » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

I have a question. Taking a photo and turning it into art either with photo manipulation software or by altering all together how to you list the medium it's created with? I've seen photo manipulation, I've seen Digital Art and others. When selling a print of that artwork is it technically Digital Art print, or photographic print. For instance I made this art from a photo of my dog. How would I list it's medium?
Attachments
Talleyhostudios

Re: How to list art medium?

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I think its up to you, but should be reflective to the level of changes you do to the original photo...
If minor: Color correction, some masking, Enhancing a Lighting effect, etc.. then Photo-Manipulated Digital Print could be appropriate.
Whereas; if you are changing textures, adding 'more' that speaks to ART or renderings. If you are splicing numerous photo-elements into one image; then its not just the original photo. therefore, Digital ART is more appropriate.

Hope that helps.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: How to list art medium?

Postby Talleyhostudios » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks, it gets so confusing sometimes but I'd rather be correct then not. I've seen some artists convert a photo into a oil painting and then label it as a Oil Painting Print. As I said, I don't want to mislead people. I love what I do and my first go to is photography. Every so often I see a photo that would make a great artistic seen in a different rendering.
Talleyhostudios