A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

"Primal Instincts" My work in progress.. Critique please ;)

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

"Primal Instincts" My work in progress.. Critique please ;)

Postby The Markz Of Max » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:30 am

Last edited by The Markz Of Max on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Markz Of Max

Re: "Primal Instincts" My work in progress.. Critique pleas

Postby davideo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:39 am

Since the title of this piece, so far, is Primal Instincts, I wouldn't want to affect those instincts as you proceed to finish it! Looks good so far... : )
davideo

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby The Markz Of Max » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:10 am

davideo wrote:Since the title of this piece, so far, is Primal Instincts, I wouldn't want to affect those instincts as you proceed to finish it! Looks good so far... : )

Haha fair point.. thanks for the comment :)
The Markz Of Max

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:01 am

Hum. I have a slightly different opinion. See that open form in the upper left side as you are looking at the drawing? It needs to be closed off like the other forms on the bottom right. Then proceed to the next step of colors, that is if there is a next step. These forms kind of remind me of the cartoon movie, Heavy Metal. I think all the busy work in the center and not so busy work on the perimeter works.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:10 pm

In general the design is indeed intriguing to look at.. there is a lot of story telling going on, which I like very much. Your heavy lines have a pretty strong line quality as well. I agree with Carl, in regards to close off the loose end in the upper left. But, what I would like is in regards to your texture/shading lines.. take some time in these... try to refine the control behind them. Don't rush. Some of the lines look a bit hap-hazard and scribbly. Which says you were trying to quickly get to the finished product. I know this temptation as well. But please, fight the urge to complete it just for the sake of finishing it, rather than complete it to get a solid work of art that is truly a representation of your artistic ability. :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm

I think you have the right idea, here - let it out. E
ehoeveler

Postby The Markz Of Max » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:05 pm

CarlOwen wrote:Hum. I have a slightly different opinion. See that open form in the upper left side as you are looking at the drawing? It needs to be closed off like the other forms on the bottom right. Then proceed to the next step of colors, that is if there is a next step. These forms kind of remind me of the cartoon movie, Heavy Metal. I think all the busy work in the center and not so busy work on the perimeter works.

Thanks for the advice. ill work on it!
The Markz Of Max

Postby The Markz Of Max » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:06 pm

jenn_iam wrote:In general the design is indeed intriguing to look at.. there is a lot of story telling going on, which I like very much. Your heavy lines have a pretty strong line quality as well. I agree with Carl, in regards to close off the loose end in the upper left. But, what I would like is in regards to your texture/shading lines.. take some time in these... try to refine the control behind them. Don't rush. Some of the lines look a bit hap-hazard and scribbly. Which says you were trying to quickly get to the finished product. I know this temptation as well. But please, fight the urge to complete it just for the sake of finishing it, rather than complete it to get a solid work of art that is truly a representation of your artistic ability. :)

Thanks! Great advice.. this should definitely push me onward.
The Markz Of Max

Postby The Markz Of Max » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am

Please right click the image and open it in a new tab. Thats the only way to see the full image :)
The Markz Of Max