A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Director - Feedback appreciated!

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

The Director - Feedback appreciated!

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:38 pm

I have been on a film project for the last month, with last weekend having an FX application day... BTW - totally fun!!!
Anyway, one of the behind the scene photos of the Director, was intriguing to me.. .loved the candid pose, and hand gestures... and of course... I wanted to transfer this to art.
... and being difficult, like the Silverpoint, didn't try a forgiving medium either. This time I used a Scratchboard. Which, like silverpoint, you cannot pre-sketch it. I challenge myself this way in the hopes to refine/hone the hand-eye skill for immediate proportions.
In general, I am pleased with the output... but of course after photographing the sketch, and placing digitally next to the photo, I had my own initial critiques... I will post those as a comment after... but here it is both so you can see too... I am open to your thoughts and feed back as well....
Attachments
The Director
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: The Director

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Here is my initial Critique.... :). Hope the methodology helps others in their critiques of their work... if I were to do this, non-digitally I would use transparent tracing paper for my notations.

Did I miss anything? :: wink ::
Attachments
Director-Analysis

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Photo or not - the cross-hatching is Awesome Thank You for the Helpful hints!!!!! E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:01 pm

thank you... I really waffled a bit on how I wanted to convey the light values and still render the fabric of the sweatshirt. think the downward and curving motion directional was a good approach to follow the flow of the body, and still increase the heaviness or not for light intensity.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:22 pm

W/ digital retouch to re-introduce the black that taking a photo diminishes...
Attachments

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Re: The Director - Feedback appreciated!

Postby www-ksart-se » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:58 am

Hi! cross-hatching is Awesome indeed! =o)
www-ksart-se

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:32 am

Thank you... It is. If you start with pencil, it's not too hard to pick up... :) give it a go!

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 am

You know Jennifer, you really do challenge yourself. I agree with your self critiques. I have just one more. The whole form is just a little off, kind of skewed backwards or more to the right side of the canvas as you are looking at it. I think this is what caused the elongation of the face, hands and the width of the shoulder area. It looks like you tried to correct that backwards head skew by compensation of the front chest and under arm by moving that forward. Everything is off just a degree here and there.

I see a lot of component pieces well executed like the hands, the scarf, the mouth, eyes, and nose. But all of them are just a little off here and there. I have not read anything about what I am going to say here to help correct the skewed form problem. Once upon a time I always did the basic sketch block of the form or face. You know the big circle, quick jaw line and the proportion lines for the eyes, nose, mouth stuff with that vertical line thing down the middle. I would then do the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc. Basically working from the inside out. When I returned to practicing with the grid method I did the same procedure. My drawings were terrible. It took me awhile to figure out what was going wrong. Then at the customary Erika moment at three in the morning I knew what I was doing wrong.

By starting with the features I was always a little off in size and shape. Moving from the inside to the outside, each little off piece kept expanding until the entire form was off and usually to big. So, I changed my method. I did the silhouette approach. Once I was satisfied with the outside line describing the entire form I then started moving to the center of the form with shape descriptions in shadows and high lights before I even attempted doing features. The first feature I now do is the nose. Everything depends on the placement and size of that nose. I learned that trick in the "Let the Games Begin" posts in the fury forum where I started with Elizabeth Taylor's eyes. Same old habit produced the same old problems. The real key is the nose.

Now, if you had not placed the photo next to the drawing, it would have been seen as marvelous. But I think you wanted this kind of critique. I know my skills are no where near Frank's but I have learned doing it this way has greatly improved my renditions. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback and observations, Carl :) Let me try to take the pic with the scratch board (which is actually a treated heavy card stock) pressed flat as it curled a bit as I was working the medium ... I think a lot of the skewing you see, is likely that... I actually did draw this image first on paper... then tackle it in grid pattern it onto the scratch board as best as I could, being that you really can't draw on it... as it will mar the surface with unwanted scratches. or place a unremovable line in the flat black surface.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:22 pm

You are welcome Jennifer. Hum. Interesting about the curl. Would be also interesting to see it flattened out. Looking forward.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Yes, because the surrounding Box, or framing is a parallelogram... so its measured 6" wide, and 6 1/4 tall.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Well at that size, flatten it out, put it in a little simple black frame, find a corporate lobby and hang it with the bottom of the frame at 7 to 8 feet above the floor and walk away. Everything will suddenly come into perspective and proportion. It is the Moses statue thing by Michelangelo. Everything depends on the angle of the view.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm

Ok, here it is... Flattened. :).
Attachments

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 am

Nose is still a little to long, but what a difference. The skewed element I was talking about is gone making the impact of the face and hand expression more dramatic. A nice little etching. Apologize about the hanging it at 7 to 8 feet above the floor comment. I misread the " as ', so I thought this was 6 feet by 6 1/4 feet. Bet that comment caused a little confusion on your part. So, sorry about that.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Oh yes.. the nose... I so agree... that was the first thing I noticed... But, alas... an unforgiving medium... took too much off, cant erase. LOL
Learning experience for sure! lol.. No worries on the dimensions.. yes, this is small... I will trim the material to be square, and I can see it matted and put into a square frame, no bigger than 15" by 15" in size... thanks for the feedback!!!

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi again. Just checking in. You know, If I were to work this medium I would draw the basic forms on a sheet of thin paper, like newsprint, then on the reverse side use a white or yellow soft pastel stick and trace over my drawing to transfer the outlines to the medium surface and then do the scratching into the medium. Just a thought that bounced into my head.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:16 pm

I say, you should try it!! I lightly did my grid, and basic form placement with charcoal... still no impressions are made and was hard to see without tilting to light... but its a good thought!!

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam