A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Stag

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

The Stag

Postby saphyre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 am

I am trying to write a book, it has been in the works for a couple years now and I expect it to take a few more. It is based in modern time New England and is basically about fairies. It started because for a few years I wasn't getting much sleep so I started to have mild hallucinations and some "waking" dreams. Basically I felt like I was asleep with my eyes open and alert. Such a strange feeling, but all my dreams revolved around the characters of the book, my brain slowly going crazy I felt. But some great inspiration for the book and my art.

He is just known as The Stag Lord. An ancient being who roams the forests of northern New Hampshire. He will be an integral character once I get to him. This drawing is of what he will first look like when introduced in my writing. Later on he won't have so much going on, and yeah, he can change it because he's magic. haha

This is one I did about a year ago, it is not completely done, you can see the small bird in pencil and some gathered snow on the antlers. I am not sure I want to add a background. At this point it may be more trouble than its worth with all the intricate leaves and antlers. I'll finish him sometime this year, maybe others seeing him with motivate me to do so.

Enjoy.
Attachments
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: The Stag

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 am

Whimsical. But I see the need for the background to be completed. Not what you wanted to here I bet. Lots of tedious work involved.
CarlOwen

Postby saphyre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:14 am

Ack, no I didn't but you are right, it's never going to look complete unless I have one. In my mind i see him in a small clearing in the winter or a field. I've never done a landscape so I think he is going to wait until I have a little practice and am confident I wont mess it up. I am so attached to this piece I'd be very sad if I did.
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:34 pm

I just knew that you knew what you needed to do. Just a buck you up comment. Once upon a time I did a painting. Thought I completed it in the first three months. But something always did not seem right. I studied stuff. I tweaked it from time to time. All in all it took me seven years to get what I wanted. It sold six months later. Just saying, if you remove the pressure of time from the equation, more often than not you will succeed in making the painting "worthwhile".
CarlOwen

Postby saphyre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:42 pm

I am not worried about time with this one. It has already been a deeply personal process from dream to idea to doing it. I am not even sure I would want to sell it if someone offered. This was also my first time doing an animal. It was agony to get the fur right and I was so excited when I finally got it. :-)
saphyre

Postby Dragondust » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:00 pm

Lovely!
Dragondust

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby saphyre » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:35 am

Thank you Dragondust, your gallery looks like one of my fairy dreams. :D
saphyre

Return to Works In Progress