A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

A pen and Ink Eye study

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

A pen and Ink Eye study

Postby ColorfulLights » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:14 pm

So here is a pen and ink eye study. I'll keep it short and simple. Thoughts? :)

If you'd like to purchase this piece check it out on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/240882178/ ... =related-3
ColorfulLights

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: A pen and Ink Eye study

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:25 pm

OK, this is about as gentle as I can get. Study Leonardo De Vinci's anatomy drawings. You are on the right track, but look out for being derailed by your own ideas, abilities and misperceptions. These are very nice for a beginner. Try ultra contrasts in the corners of the eyes and see what you think.
CarlOwen

Postby ColorfulLights » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you for the suggestion. Good point about not getting derailed by my own ideas. I generally don't use any reference photos, so these eyes, the noses, and the lighthouse (other posts of mine) are all from my head.
ColorfulLights

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Frank Frazetta would be proud of you. When I was a marine in the last century I worked on human studies. One book was devoted to eyes, another to hands, etc. Leonardo has always been my hero. The day I was discharged all ten of those one hundred page books were stolen. Just as well, it made me remember instead of referencing. And when I say derailed, it is different from focused. You will learn that difference.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Carl's suggestions are always good - I'll add that it's always a good idea to
practice texturing anyway you can. Keep up the good work! E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Its not that your sketches are bad, at all. but, I wholeheartedly second (& Third) Carl's Suggestion on DaVinci's Anatomy studies or any anatomy for the artist type books. And, when those are not appealing or available....draw from life as DaVinci did. Sketch Real people either in person, or from photos. Sketch all shapes and expressions to get a real feel for the anatomy behind the eye, and the orbital bone structure that makes up the shapes that surround it and hold it in place. They do not have to be posed. Eventually you will develop the muscle memory (so to speak) of the base forms and then focus on details. I try to sketch quickly things that are passing, so that I it trains the eye to pick out the details and capture them. Its OK to draw from the minds eye, but to truly know the body part (eye in this case), Study it! I would also suggest, sketch in less permanent mediums initially... INK is good, but is less forgiving if you add something you don't like later. All in all, you are on the right track, practice, keep it up... Don't feel its "less" to review a reference material. You are doing great and cant wait to see more. :)

Sketch ya later.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)