A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Art about Subjectivity

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Art about Subjectivity

Postby mrorange » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am

Hi all,

First post! Happy to be aboard.

I'm trying to get into the headspace of subjectivity; how one's perception of something will inevitably be different from another's, and how different groups of the world see issues from different perspective. It's all subjective to how we think. It's all relative to our circumstances. I think about this kind of thing a lot.

I'm at a loss as to how to convey this idea visually. I would love some ideas, or a point in the direction of famous pieces that have already touched on the subject.

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to becoming an active member here :)
mrorange

Re: Art about Subjectivity

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi, there! This sounds like the dullest art school project, ever. I have no idea - thank god I don't have to do papers like that any more. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby mrorange » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:31 pm

It's not for a paper, actually, it's for tattoo designs. I'm genuinely interested but haven't been able to find much through general google research. Figured I'd ask minds in the know since I'm not the best visual artist, and hopefully start up some interesting convo at the same time.

Thanks for the helpful advice, though. :roll:
mrorange

Postby Singular » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

I would say most art, except for hyper realism is intended to be subjective in nature. Dali and van Gogh definitely saw things differently than most and it was evident in how they portrayed things. If you want to convey the idea of subjectivity through a painting, for example, it might be a good idea to create different views of a "real" thing, if that makes sense. Perhaps a series or triptych.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Sorry, mrorange and thanks for coming up with an answer, Joe!
ehoeveler

Postby Symphoneus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 am

If you are having trouble coming up with an idea, I would suggest attempting to literally expressing it. Then let your natural instincts rule on;
What is "to much",
What is "not enough",
And what is what is "just right",

If I were to make such a piece (hmm...), I would depict a person (I prefer drawing humans/humanoids), who is literally divided along some commonly understood motif (I would likely do something like the angel/demon thing [sorta cliche though 8p]), while offering each half some aspect which is opposed to it's most commonly understood meaning.

ex. A Demon/Angel. The angel holds a severed head in offering. The demon speaks to a grieving mother.
The fate of men, might weigh on me,
But I take that sin quite well,
Only cold wins, in the dark it seems,
But I hear there's warmth in hell...
(8p)
Symphoneus

Postby rhknigh » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I really like what the others have suggested and I applaud you for taking on such a very profound subject. Recently I read a very well-illustrated article I found on the subject of anamorphic art. Have you considered it? Here is a link to said article in case you want to check it out http://io9.com/5928448/the-art-of-anamorphic-illusions.

Best wishes on your project, hope that you find enjoyment and maybe even enlightenment in the process.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:10 pm

The idea of a topic, a point of view, etc... being subjective to one individual verses another can only be quantified by understanding the prism by which they view the world. This prism is defined through experiences in life, ones moral compass, and general code that they live and choose to experience live by. Understand that, and you understand how ones subjective view, is different from anothers.

How to place that into something visual. You can convey a theory with literal objects.
a Prism.. for instance, is a tangeable object. Apply more than one in single peice of art, to convey many individuals. And within, the points of view of a same topic, can be conveyed differently using various elements or distorted like-elements (such is how Dali did), from one prism to the next. have outside the prisms, perhaps the actual image, the element being viewed by the individuals.... I am not saying to do it this way.. but perhaps think along the method of symbolism such as you would find the Surrealists doing over the years. :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Art about Subjectivity

Postby denalester9 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 am

Art is totally based on subjectivity. When you have complete knowledge about your subject than you can make perfect and remarkable arts. Its the matter of all about subject knowledge which helps an artist to draw his imagination in more realistic way.
denalester9

Postby eddieblz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 am

Where would you put the tattoo?
Subjectivity is a magic trick.
Objectivity is the instructions on how to do the trick.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Art about Subjectivity

Postby denalester » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:56 am

Art completely related to any subject. Every artist make a perception towards an object than implement his imagination in front of his art lover in a brilliant way. :)
denalester

Postby eddieblz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm

denalester wrote:Art completely related to any subject. Every artist make a perception towards an object than implement his imagination in front of his art lover in a brilliant way. :)

Oh, now your just being subjective.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mrorange » Thu May 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys, I know this is super late but thanks for all the input! It's truly a difficult concept to express visually especially in a way that would look 'cool' as a tattoo. The prism is a great idea Jenn, I may run with it.

Keep em coming if you have anything. Like I said I'm not much of a visual artist so it's hard to put the concept into images. :)
mrorange

Return to Art Discussion