A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Canvas 038

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Canvas 038

Postby gillerheadstudio » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:54 am

Hi,
I am interested in finding out what other artists think of my work. I have been selling my work in the UK for about three years now and have just started showing work in other parts of the world.
Vivist my website for to see my other work - www.gillerheadstudio.co.uk
All my work is hand drawn on cotton canvas from photograph which I have manipulated on PC and then painted with thick acrylic paint, finishing with high gloss varnished.
Attachments
CIMG0257+.jpg
CIMG0257+.jpg (121.17 KiB)
The GILLERHEAD Studio - 'Hanging's too good for it'
Visit me at www.gillerheadstudio.co.uk
gillerheadstudio

Postby Singular » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:08 am

Hi there,
I like it very much. It is very sensual and very well done.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 26
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:10 am

Was that "Production #038", or Canvas 038?
Not crazy about the photo-manipulation look.
Hanging's too good for what what you're trying
to push, Gillerhead.
Art-in-a-can.
Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby DLKeur » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:10 am

Commercially saleable, well done, and I have no fault. It isn't art from the soul, but, like I said, very saleable and well done. Try Las Vegas and New Jersey for U.S. markets.
DLKeur

Postby gillerheadstudio » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Many thanks for your comments.

Singular - Thank you for your comments, you are very kind.

ehoevelor - I like the idea of art-in-a-can (or for the 'can' if I get the vibe from what you feel for my work - I take your comments with thanks)
I have been teaching art at high school and University level for the past 14 years in the UK and have come to this style of work from many transformations. The point of my work is just as you pointed out, that of computer manipulation with an output of paint on canvas. After I've played with an image digitally I then reproduce that image (using a pencil) and draw and paint. And you're right - I try to use paint straight from the pot, without mixing, without feeling, without blending, without shading and without any other manipulation. A client (and now collector of my work said) "You paint like a computer."
I also paint like this as it sells, (a lot) and as a working artist I need to feed, house, clothe, educate my family.
The tag line of "Hanging's too good for it" comes from John Lennon talking of one of Stuart Sutcliffe’s paintings which he sold in Liverpool, England for £50 in 1963.

DLKeur - Thank you for you suggestion as to selling art in Vegas - If only I could find an outlet (any ideas?) Any help, advice would always be welcomed. You are very observant (soulless art) I have tried very hard to do just that, give the observer the image without my interpretation. As an artist it is very hard not to make an image look more visually pleasing or correct in composition, but that’s what I like about art, both producing and observing it, it's a talent that needs to be constantly improved, re-learnt, changed, challenged, etc.

Thanks again to all the comments; I look forward to further discussions in the future.
gillerheadstudio

Postby DLKeur » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:27 pm

You send a
ochure or one-sheet around to various likely candidates -- bordellos (sp), gaming rooms, clubs, lounges, etc., gotten by researching online, or you seek representation by an art agent or art dealer in the area by sending a copy of your portfolio. Of course, you can always fly over and do a walk-around-the-town with prints of your work for them to see <--kidding unless you like spending lots and lots of money.

Remember that, since you are doing live canvas selling, you have to price accordingly. Also remember never to underprice your work.
DLKeur

Postby gillerheadstudio » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:33 am

DLKeur - Many thanks again for your comments and suggestions, I shall try sending my portfolio folder to a few names (after some Internet research) and see if I can gain any sales or interest.
gillerheadstudio

Postby gillerheadstudio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:49 am

Hi all,
Just a note to say that a gallery has found this work, contacted me and has now got it on exhibition in the UK. The gallery took one of my earlier works too so I am very excited to now have work in five different galleries around the UK.
Here is a link to the latest gallery - http://www.thehg.co.uk the gallery owner said the work would be hung sometime this week and on his website by next week.
GILLERHEAD
gillerheadstudio

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:09 am

Well, Gillerhead, you took my criticism with grace and charm.
I can't say that I actually like your work but obviously there are
plenty of people who do. 'Best to you and your family. Ehoeveler
P.S. - Interesting anecdote about John lennon and Stu Sutcliffe!
ehoeveler