A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Oil Painting : Moonlight/ Beam help

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Oil Painting : Moonlight/ Beam help

Postby T.Richmond » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Hello

I am just about to start a new painting , wich I am excited for. I will tell you alittle about the image that I have in mind before I get to the issue , just so you see what I see .

A cascade waterfall that will cover the entire background with a glimpse of the night sky peering over top , in the pool below , there is a lone willow tree sitting on a eroding island just big enough to hold it . Slight mist rising, roots of the tree reaching in to the water and so on . The light source will be coming straight down so you wont see the moon but instead the rays falling through the tree and mist . If you look at my pieces in my profile you can see the style in wich I paint.

I have a clear image of what this will look like but I am stumped on how to create these beams of light. Especialy straight rays that are transparent without messing up the flow of the waterfall . Should I do the waterfall , let it dry and add in the light by mixing a small amout of light blue with linseed oil to tint the oil and the use a fan brush to create them? ( probably a bad idea lol)
T.Richmond

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Oil Painting : Moonlight/ Beam help

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I think the way you want to portray the rays begs a
discussion on why you want to paint straight moon-rays
but it does sound cool and as a matter of fact I'm recalling
this effect in movies like the 'Passion of Christ'.
Certainly a fan brush would not be my first choice - a short-bristled
'flattie' with not much 'give' might work better.
I wish I could help you with your mixing question - I think I've used water-based oils
one time for one picture. I believe it would be a good idea to let the waterfall dry
and then come in with your beams. Anybody else? Thanks, E
ehoeveler

Postby johnlobbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:04 am

Here are some suggestions to improve your painting skills:

1.Have a plan
2.Work on your drawing on a different paper then transfer your drawing
3.Pay attention to your edges quality
4.Use your colors all over the painting
5.Have fun
johnlobbs

Postby T.Richmond » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

ehoeveler : I came up with the moon rays idea while picturing what the water reflections would look like if the moon was above . So then I thought , "well if there is mist involved and you can not see the moon except within the water reflection, why not add in soft rays that illuminate certian areas ? As if the sky was cloudy with light shining through the spaces " I like to try new techniques or elaborate with one I already know in each painting .

I will see what I have for brushes and test out the brush you suggested , I usualy dont use tough bristles though. Mainly I only use two specific soft brushes for everything lol .

johnlobbs : Those are good steps to follow, thank you . I have considered drawing the layout before hand but when ever I do , painting just dosent seems as enjoyable . To me it takes away the thrill of creating a world that only exists in ones imagination . As strange as that might sound . I will keep your suggestions in mind though .

------

I came up with an idea or theory ( if you want to call it that ) last night to create the light ray effect and If it works , I will post the technique .
T.Richmond

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds good but I'd love to see even if it doesn't work! Thanks, E
ehoeveler

Postby artauction » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 am

Thanks for sharing this many great tips for oil painting. I found this thread really helpful as well as informative.
artauction