A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

College Major in Illustration?: Transeferring and Tuition

Everyone has issues and problems at one point in their lives. Maybe someone here has gone through exactly what you are. Come on in if you need some advice or just some one to talk to.

College Major in Illustration?: Transeferring and Tuition

Postby NarutoUchiha07 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:36 am

Hello,

I've just finished my 1st year at the University of Houston and am entering my 2nd year in the Fall. I've been drawing all my life and would like to someday be able to make a living out of it. I'm really interested in becoming an animator, comic book artist and etc. Right now, I'm thinking of declaring my major in graphic communications but really want to switch over to a major in illustrations (which the University doesn't have).So, after completing my upcoming semester I'd like to transfer to another school with my desired major and take online classes, if possible.

I've been looking at different schools (ex. AAU, Ai etc.) but the overall costs are more than that of my current school. I don't want my mom to have to keep paying for my studies but really don't want to get a degree in something I won't find useful.

I'm been thinking about staying in Houston with relatives, so I can find a good job and take my classes online during my free time. I could try and earn enough money to offset some of the cost, in assistance to my Pale grants, FASFA and other financial aids. This is just a rough draft plan, though.

What should I do?
Would experience graphic communications be helpful in my transference to an illustration major?
Are there any good schools out there with an illustrations major and sensible fees yall know about?

Any information yall can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
NarutoUchiha07

Re: College Major in Illustration?: Transeferring and Tuitio

Postby Singular » Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm

My advice would be to get a degree in a field that is more marketable than illustration. Graphic Communication is. Stay with it. You do not need a degree in illustration to be an illustrator. You need a good portfolio.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Totally agree with Singular. Get your degree
to have something to fall back upon but don't go into
hock over the whole thing. Meanwhile, get that portfolio together.
Sounds like you're young and trying to find your way.
You have a lot to chew on and I hope I've helped you - main thing
is, don't let yourself get overwhelmed - put one foot in front of the other, OK?
'Best, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby chinujhon » Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 am

Singular wrote:My advice would be to get a degree in a field that is more marketable than illustration. Graphic Communication is. Stay with it. You do not need a degree in illustration to be an illustrator. You need a good portfolio.

Agree with you. And it's very important for your career..:)
chinujhon