A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

need advice

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

need advice

Postby artbyJKB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Just kind of messing around with colors. I want to learn to paint something with bright, glowing, vibrant colors. I am working with acrylic. This painting is more or less a self lesson but I need advice on what kind of background would you use for this without dimming the brightness of the colors. Any and all advice could only help me.

Sorry about the glare i just snapped the picture with my phone.
Attachments
Blue Orb
artbyJKB

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: need advice

Postby lesliehansel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 am

JKB,
One way to make colors seem brighter is to surround it with dull colors. Another way is to place it near is opposite on the color wheel. Since your main subject is blue maybe a background of dull grey/orange smoke or something to that effect. A few artists to look at would be Titan and Adam Miller.

Les
lesliehansel

Postby artbyJKB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 am

Yes I like the orange idea. I thought about having tree branches come out and seem to hold the orb except I would need to add the blue glare to make it seem like it's glowing but I thought that might dull the blue in the orb. Titan is extremely amazing and so is Adam Miller. Thank you for the advice.
artbyJKB

Postby sharkbarf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:16 am

First of all I like it. You've already captured the glowing effect nicely.
I think the more you play with it the more you'll see what your options are.

I''ve always loved to make my paintings as bright as I can. Only recently did I find out that by neutralizing (greying or making dull) colors then when I apply the saturated colors next to or on top do they seem even more bright.
An easy example to find is when ever gold is painted. When you really look at it gold is mostly dull browns, even the highlights are usually dulled down a bit.
"Not conceded, just better than jail" - Dr. Spawk, FPC
sharkbarf

Postby artbyJKB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:48 am

Yes I agree the brighter the better. I'm going to play around with some dull colors and see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll post it again if I get something added. Thanks for the advice.
artbyJKB

Postby garyh13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 am

very interesting sorta like one of the old electrical orbs. I would use a a cavas to paint it on or a sable muslim and use a jet black background to bring out the electric type blue paint.
I have work on this site and slowly building up more. you can check out any of my work and if you want to be a friend threw site just ask.
garyh13

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby artbyJKB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 am

Garyh13, I thought about leaving the background black but It looks off somehow. Like it needs something more. I really am wanting to learn more about colors though and this is a good exercise for me. Having these good ideas help so much. I'm so glad i found this site. \
By the way I checked out your page and I like it. I really love the harvest moon. I've tried taking pictures of the moon so many times but it is very hard when you don't know what you are doing. I can't do photography.
artbyJKB

Postby garyh13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 am

thank you for the compliment on harvest moon pic i am experimenting with my photography and diff computer programs on rearranging photo's threw a Photoshop type program like if you look at my kaleidoscope picture its actually a photograph of flowers changed around.
I see you are in st louis i hope you have a good Christmas or yule or whatever you wish to call the holiday.
garyh13

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby artbyJKB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey thank you. You have a Merry Christmas or Yule as well.
artbyJKB

Postby feremiev » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 pm

I like it( sorry for answering so late, im a bit bussy lately :S ). i checked your other works, and like them, when i saw them i coundnt think of another thing than evanescence.

For the orb personally i would try adding more blue tones, it would make the orb less plain( i read once that the more tones you use of one color the better, like tuquoise, aquamarine, etc).

another thing you can consider, is adding a gray-blue value in the inside the obr in the perimeter, it would add some volume to it.

hope it helps.
feremiev

Postby artbyJKB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Oh feremiev I really like the idea of adding the gray-blue to the inside perimeter. There was another person who had the idea with using duller colors around it to help keep it's brightness and I think that would be the perfect color. I think I'll try and see how that looks. Thank you.
artbyJKB