A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Critiques?

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Critiques?

Postby wilddagger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I have always painted, but recently took it a little more seriously. I've sold a few paintings and have a website with fineartamerica.com but havent sold anything in a little bit. would love some critiques on a few of my works.
Tammy
318691_2448583532001_1174330153_3050500_1201444732_a.jpg
318691_2448583532001_1174330153_3050500_1201444732_a.jpg (9.32 KiB)
wilddagger

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Critiques?

Postby Singular » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Tammy,

Your work is nice. I do like the 2nd one best. It seems more vivid and crisp than the other two. I do recommend that when you paint the human body, to increase the variation of colors to add more contour and depth. Also to use gradual change rather than lines. The breasts in the 2nd painting seem to have hard lines to shape them rather than curvature. You may need to blend a bit more in that area, as well as add more variation of tones.

Overall, very nice work. Keep them coming.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby wilddagger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Joe,
The second one is my favorite as well. I wish that there was a way for you to increase the size of the third to see it closer because she actually turned out really well. the first was taken from a friend's photo which was black and white and thats why i used the same colors and gradients. The second ones breast line gave me the hardest time. I was painting from an actual photograph and the human body has always been a challenge for me so i've forced myself to paint it more often. They say practice makes perfect so we shall see.
wilddagger

Postby RobK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 am

I find it hard to discuss such work. I have a personal preference for the first image but I can't be objective in that commenting on such work may not be appropriate other than a personal preference to see finer detail.

If sales are lacking, several things could be happening. You're not exposing yourself to people who like such art, or there may be no call for such art. You may be over or under pricing yourself which does have an influence.

Perhaps you might try painting with a little more detail in so much as the hair of your subjects, whilst you paint in a semi realistic style, the hair is at odds with the rest of the painting ie it's ropey by comparison to say the detail in the sheet (top pic).
RobK