A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

What are your thoughts?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

What are your thoughts?

Postby jekalope » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 am

Sabbides "Art dictates life and life dictates art. To say that the life who created a masterpiece is unimportant is like saying that the man/woman who shovels coal to keep the engine running is not equivalent to the work that she/he produces. Aren't both equal?"

Aurora Pope "I'd say that it certainly takes one to produce the other; but I would also say that the Process is, at the very least, fundamental to work. I would also say that there is a difference between "labor" and "Work" (the capital W is intentional). If the man or woman who is shoveling the coal is doing it with the INTENTION that would elevate it to an art form, than it should be considered as such..."

Sabbides "Last night an art history professor stated to me: that the life of the artist is not as important or even null compared to the work she or he produces. I think otherwise, I think life and art are completely intertwined. She then stated that catholic artists would make protestant work so their lives were sometimes separate. Well I say then that is an important fact that we should look at, maybe now we need to reevaluate all their work, and maybe there is angst and malice lining their work we didn't see before. Or hidden symbols that only catholic eyes could see,
oadening the depth of their work. So my argument is that the work and the life of the individual is just as important, and equal. We need to examine not just the context of the work but also the life of the artist to truly understand his or her body of work."

Jessica Hall "The artist creates individual pieces of work... the person shoveling coal is creating a fuel source. Both create. One is individual, unique, different and one is common, general, ordinary. The life of an artist is like that of a mother; you create from within yourself, pieces of the creator fall into the piece and make it completely unique to the creator.
The depth of the work lies within the creator. Whether it be coal, religion, or animals, the amount of passion you have for the work always emerges from the finished job.
I agree with Aurora, if the work is done with the same intention and passion (not a paycheck) as that of an artist then it should be assessed that way.
All relative to the person and the person within that situation"
jekalope

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello Jek, Glad to have you here. I,ve read your comments. And will read again a time or two. And give you my thoughts.
You know, it seems to me there are two things. The art market. And art fot it,s own sake. Will talk with you about these things.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)