A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

affordable sculpture materials

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

affordable sculpture materials

Postby Menolly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:51 pm

I know we've got a few dedicated sculptors out there, so I'm hoping for a little advice here. I'm taking an introductory sculpture class this fall, and so far I'm really liking it. I'd like to be able to work on it on my own, but I want to work with something really damage-resistant. Between the lack of safe places to put them, and our furry, four-legged wrecking crew, I'd be terrified of have a bunch of fragile clay sculptures sitting around. Does anybody have any suggestions for a relatively cheap, sturdy sculpture material I could work with? It doesn't have to be pretty - I can paint and decorate my way around an ugly color or texture.
Menolly

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi Menolly, how exciting, sculpture classes! I envy you. You can use paper mache, the kind that you add water to. It's similar to clay, a bit lumpy or sticky depending th e amount of water you add to it. You only need to keep it safe from curious viewers, two legged or four, until it hardens.
Erika Takacs

Postby Menolly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Why didn't I think of that sooner? Thanks!
Menolly

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Menolly, Use steel. Take some welding instuction. Learn to use a few tools. It may sound hard. But it,s easy.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)