A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

oils cleanup .. suggestions ?

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

oils cleanup .. suggestions ?

Postby ConArtist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:24 am

Hi,

I am new to painting and even moreso with oils but I couldn't resist trying out my new set of oils given to me as a Christmas gift. I tried to read as much as I could before I started, had a jar for the turpenoid and
ushes, sponges, metal tools and linseed oil .. all new to me. But when it came time for cleanup... well, lets say I could really use some advise. Looking at my hands, I looked like someone from the "blueman tour" when I finished. The local advice given to us from the store was to use the turpenoid and 'the jar' for the
ushes - but it didn't work so well. I, of course, now get to hold an important business meeting today with slightly blue fingers. Lesson learned ? never do this without ample time for cleanup and the right stuff !

any advice you can provide is very much appreciated.

Thanks !
:oops:
Connie Connor
(ConArtist)
ConArtist

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Conner,
To clean the
ushes, it is a good idea to get the excess off with turpentein or turpernoid. I use an old coffee. Once the excess is off, I then clean the
ushes with warm water and soap. Stroke the
ush back and forth over a bar of soap while running warm water over it. I then swivel the
ush head around in my hand, while the
ush still has some soap left on it, and really work out the soap. Make sure to shape the
ush while it is still a bit soapy. It will hold it's shape better if you do this while you clean.

Cleaning hands is a pain, but should come clean with soap and water. I usually rub a bit or terpenoid with a rag to get the immedieate stuff off. I then use soap and an a
asive pad, like ones used for washing dishes.

hope this helps,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby rrsum » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Conner,
All that Joe said, and you might also try this. Before I paint with oils, I put lotion on my hands. I've also rubbed a little vaseline into my hands, especially around the cuticles and fingernails.
Not so much that I can't hold the
ushes without them slipping but enough to put a thin coating on my hands.
Some of the oils and thinners have stuff in them that isn't good, and can be absorped through the skin over time.
The lotion and/or vaseline help protect your skin, and certainly make clean up a lot easier.

Hope that helps!
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby ConArtist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am

Oh these are great ideas ! I will deifinitely use them.

Thank you so much !

Connie Connor
'ConArtist'

real into surreal, surreal into real, or just as it is, art is but a glimpse of a slice in time out of which come beautiful interpretations of our journeys ..
ConArtist