A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Need help with a question!

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with a question!

Postby yoli » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Hello,
I have a question, I took a photo several years ago of the hospital on Ellis Island. Some of us were given a special tour of the area, ( We had to wear hard hats). Not
many folks have seen this part of Ellis Island, so I was glad I could take pictures. My question is , how do I go about painting " Spirits" walking down the corridor ?
I don't want to do flying spirit's . I want to do people walking through, translucent if you will. I have also posted the photo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yolanda
Attachments
yoli

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Need help with a question!

Postby Singular » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:13 pm

perhaps use some glaze to give the spirits the effect you are looking for. What medium do you work in?
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby PopArtBalloons » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 pm

maybe make a stencil that covers the image a cut out the specter forms, cover the image and leave it in the light and check on it daily or every other day
PopArtBalloons

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:44 pm

I agree with Joe. Just be sure they are very thin glazes as you work in acrylics and it is almost impossible to correct a mistake of a thin glaze once applied onto the painted surface. Also, if you glaze, work fast. You will have very little time to manipulate and/or correct a form once applied on the already painted surface.
CarlOwen

Postby satanfriendly » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:48 pm

Something I have never considered over-imposing on a photograph, but it is very effective when done well. I do like the idea of the stencil, but to give that 'haunting fee'l I would probably look at a light spray application. maybe even enamel paint. It would probably need some experimentation though and some colour testing as I could see a cold mid grey working as much as white would.

In passing I love these old 'derelict' buildings and even towns around the world. We have an old institution hospital in my home city of Liverpool called Newsham Park Hospital which they open to the public once in a while. My daughter-in-law visited on its last opening and she was just so struck at how it had just been so hurriedly evacuated with so much still remaining in place.

https://www.google.com.hk/search?rlz=1C ... K0ArIDM%3A
28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28
satanfriendly

Postby eddieblz » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Now this is one scary corridor. Nice shot.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Got my strong thumbs up on this one, Yoli. What I call a great 'Gestalt' shot - love it, E
ehoeveler