A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Scanning large works

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Scanning large works

Postby TaoofthRaven » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Is there a simple way to scan large images without a large scanner? I want to eventually get an 11x17 scanner but until then I'd like to know if there's anyway to scan large work. Any help will be appreciated.
There is talent, and then there is SKILL. I pursue to obtain the latter..
TaoofthRaven

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Scanning large works

Postby eddieblz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I take my large pieces out side and let the sun be my light source. I set them up on and easel facing the sun. Then take a high def camera and line it up as flat on to the piece as possible, then I take the pic's. Then I open them in my PS software and clean them up. Admittedly the quality would be better with a big scanner. I also just got my hands on a 7.5 mp digital camera I'm going to try. The thing is you need to work with the light sensitivity and Megapixel functions on the camera, taking several shots at different sensitivity and Megapixel settings then when you get all your pic's on the computer, you need to pick the best one. It can be a pretty tedious process. Be creative. Good camera work is an art all to itself and worth it to learn. With this new camera I'm trying, it has a better flash and I'm going try working with halogen lamps set at different angles to try to up the quality of my shots. Maybe even create some different effects that I can digitally enhance. Maybe I'll take some pic's to show you what I'm talking about.
eddieblz

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)