A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

What would make a good art teacher?

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

What would make a good art teacher?

Postby debannaphone » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:16 pm

so currently I'm taking art classes outside of my high school, because i've just now decided to major in art. but the art classes outside of school is taught by this woman who my parents says works at the Chicago art institute. I really don't know if she's a good teacher or not. all she does is tell me to draw random things, and then critiques on them at least once or twice and doesn't really give any advice. thats all she does but she does give some advice about art colleges but im there for 2 hours and have pay her at least $75 dollars for those 2 hours plus its a 2hour drive there and back. i can't tell if this is just the way art teachers teach, or if shes just a bad teacher and ripping me off. can i get some advice!
debannaphone

Re: What would make a good art teacher?

Postby Singular » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:19 am

She should definitely be guiding you on proper technique, teaching you about theory and giving you a solid foundation. Are you learning how to draw when you are with her or are you just drawing?
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Lisa Larrabee » Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 am

No, that is not just the way art teachers teach, although I have had many teachers that taught almost exclusively through critique, so don't underestimate that significance of a good critique. However, there are great artists that cannot communicate well to instruct others. Is your work getting better? That is a pretty good indicator.
Lisa Larrabee

Postby ehoeveler » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Right - I think if it's a free form set-up the teach
needs to have an idea of what the student is trying
to achieve and then help them reach that goal with
guidance and instruction.
If your instructor just walks around and then gives input,
the input should be informative and helpful.
ehoeveler

Postby rhknigh » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

It certainly sounds like a passive form of teaching. If it is not working for you, as in you don't feel you are getting out of it what you need, try to find a more hands-on and instructive teacher. Are her critiques at least informative as in you learn to be better from them? Might want to supplement your creative learning with some teaching books that have good reviews and peruse the web for videos. A lot of artists have little "teaching vids" showing how they do a particular technique on their blogs/webpages. Not all artists are teachers, just like not all teachers are artists.

It is one thing to know how to do something, in this case art vs teaching. Being able to teach effectively, well it is more than just critiquing in my opinion. You can get critiqued on this forum for one thing. Teaching is a degree in it's own right for a reason. A degree in Education with art included. One might even argue that teaching is an art in its own right...
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby benitasinn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:11 am

The best educators learn right along with their students.

Art Glass Vase
benitasinn

Postby WFMartin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:25 pm

In my opinion, a good art teacher owes it to the student to give ample demonstrations regarding the "how to" concept of drawing, applying paint, etc., accompanying it with demonstrations regarding the operations involved. I teach a class in oil painting at a local recreation center, and I always find my students hungry for the simple concept of "what should I do", and "how should I do it?" Seems very elementary to me, but many art teachers forget that many students (even some advanced ones) have never actually been taught to accomplish something as simple as applying paint, by their previous teachers.
WFMartin

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Spot-on, WF! This is so true. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Well said, WF... I instruct acrylic painting sessions, (step by step demonstrations that walk a class through a complete painting).. .its fun.. nbut back to the point.. and to further what you mentioned, I have encountered folks that never were taught the color wheel... primary, secondary colors and so on... and how to mix them...
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby eddieblz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Try posting some of your work here. There are allot of very informative artists here.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Nina Reach » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:14 am

Lisa Larrabee wrote:No, that is not just the way art teachers teach, although I have had many teachers that taught almost exclusively through critique, so don't underestimate that significance of a good critique. However, there are great artists that cannot communicate well to instruct others. Is your work getting better? That is a pretty good indicator.

I think teaching exclusively through critique isn't the best way of teaching art. For some people such critique will be like challenge, which they accept and it motivates them better than anything else. But for another, shy and sensitive students such permanent critique may destroy everything. They just give up. In my opinion, the main task for teacher to look at student and choose the individual method of teaching for every student. Yes, it's hard, but it is what every good teacher should do.
Nina Reach

Postby rubydaubert » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:40 am

Be consistent and reliable.
Predictability can be a great attribute if used well, when not used well it becomes monotony. Instill an iron clad sense of confidence in your students that if you say it, it will be done. You have to establish a firm credibility from the very first day of class and stick with it.

Be visibly passionate about what you do.
If you’re not excited, there’s no chance your students will be. Someone once told me that the most wonderful thing in the world is seeing someone do something that they love really well, and I couldn’t agree more.

Admit your mistakes.
If you make a mistake, admit it openly. If you don’t know the answer, then offer to look it up and get back to the student. When I was a freshman, I once asked a teacher a technical question, she said “I don’t know” and then walked away in the other direction. Quite possibly the lamest response I could have thought of.

If you have this in your mind then you can be a better art teacher. Go trough with this cheap essays writing blog for reading guest article on How to be a good art teacher?, Great!!
rubydaubert

Postby Feline15 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:12 pm

To me the best approach would be to take the students in front of real piece of art. There is no way that students could start loving art on a book. Loving and learning art is something that everybody can develop just being exposed to real art.

----------------------
Art Lover, Glass Lover, Murano Glass Lover
Feline15

Postby AbFuentes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:25 am

Bad and Good teachers are always there to stay..whatever there purpose in life..that would always make good difference ...