A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Interest in paintings plz help!

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

Interest in paintings plz help!

Postby saartistssim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:24 am

Recently, I have developed an interest in paintings. I am not that good as I am in the learning process. I started with water colors and now I have switched to oil paintings. Well, my first oil painting turned out to be really good. I painted an old lady sitting in a garden. Now I want to do some abstract work. Tell me, is it OK to do abstract painting on my own or do I need to take the help of an expert.
saartistssim

Postby Singular » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 am

I think you should paint what you feel. Abstract paintings are about what the artist sees. Maybe you can seek advice on different types of technique and how to improve. But ultimately, only you can create your thoughts.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BAReam » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:14 am

I might suggest looking at the essays on Abstract art by Clemente Greenberg and Hans Hoffman. There are hundreds of others as well, but CG and HH look at the intellectual components of Abstract art. You might also look at the writings and work of Marcel Du Champ and Jackson Pollock. Just some examples for getting the juices flowing.... Be well
Many roads; One path. baream 08
BAReam

Re

Postby wilkinson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 am

Being an art lover, I can imagine how you might have felt during your visit to the art galleries. I salute the South African artists for their creative talent. Dude, you are lucky to visit these art galleries. I want to do this when I visit that continent. There are some beautiful and original African paintings in my office that my wife
ought from this online site http://www.southafricanartists.com/. Have a visit to their site and I am sure you would love their collection. Let me know about your purchase later on.
wilkinson

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:53 pm

An expert once told Clint Eastwood he could never make it in the movies. Do what you want and what you like. Always.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Painting

Postby ArtByLinda » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 pm

As a relative beginner myself at age 63 I would suggest you do what you feel and how you feel it and/or see it.

I do what comes naturally to me and I find that is the best way. Sometimes the paintings come out like crap and then I paint over them. Sometimes they come out nice and that's always a good feeling.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Linda
ArtByLinda

Artist

Postby pehiatt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Almost all artist, even those that attended prestigious schools are in fact self taught. Learning how to paint is a process of trial and error.

Dig in give it a try. You will be surprised that there will always be guidance when you need it.
pehiatt

Postby Menolly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Definitely don't be afraid of teaching yourself abstract art - as Pehiatt said, most of the great abstract painters taught themselves. But I'd also recommend popping in to your local li
ary or maybe doing an Internet search for abstract art styles - Surrealism, Impressionism, Cubism, etc. - for a little inspiration.
Menolly

Re: Interest in paintings plz help!

Postby Sarah Gren » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 am

Hi saartistssim,
Take ideas from experts and use your imagination, it is abstract, you'll paint what you think. I visit the jerry's artarama online web store a lot to see free art lessons and read reviews. helps out alot... they do a great job over there. Best I have used,... anyway hope this helps and let me know.
Sarah Gren