A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

HIGH GLOSS FINISH HELP!!

We will post frequent tips for artists as well as tutorials that we've seen and like. Contributors are welcome. Post here if you need advice on anything art related.

Moderator: Moderators

HIGH GLOSS FINISH HELP!!

Postby artprints » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:39 am

Hello Everyone,

Newbie to the forum.

I have a question about High Gloss Finishes for Acrylic Paintings.

Just completed 3 Large Canvas Portraits of The Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs. They will consist of 12 Dog Portraits of different
eeds including the Pitbull, Schnauzer, Rough Coated Collie, Jack Russell Terrier, Black La
ador, Golden Retrievers, Dalmation, White Great Dane, Rottweiler, and Weimaraner. It took may months and painstaking work. Each painting will be auctioned off for this charity organization, so if I screwed them up, I will be extremely upset.

I applied Windsor and Newton DAMMAR VARNISH for Oil, Alkyd and Acrylic. High Gloss.

I sprayed about 5 coats with a 30 minute wait in between on an 85 degree day outdoors. It has been over a week and the paintings are still tacky....What do I do?

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks
artprints

Postby Singular » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi there,
In my opinion, 5 coats is too many. You may have overdone it with the amount. 2-3 light coats is plenty. Also, did you wait until the painting was completely dry of the varnish, before you applied the next coat? I don't know that 30 minutes is nearly enough time. Also, as long as your house temperature is above 62 degrees, you should be fine with it indoors. There will be less chance of dust and bugs getting on the wet varnish.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby DLKeur » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Yeah. Agree with Singular. One coat lightly applied, then wait 24 hours, then the next coat. Then wait twice the time, then the final coat. Five coats in that short a time period. Ouch. That doesn't solve the problem, though. Were it mine, I'd probably just let it sit for a couple of months in the studio, but it doesn't sound like you have that option. Now, this is just a suggestion. Maybe someone else has a better one. Ask around.

So. Okay. Dust free room. VACUUM. Get a heat lamp -- a nice chicken coop one works. Hang about three feet from the surface, maybe four. And a fan. Put the heat lamp over the painting which should be laid flat on a table. Put the fan so that it blows across the painting's surface gently, to keep air flow moving and temperatures at the painting's surface less than "bake." You'll need to leave this in studio for about three days for the whole to dry through, I'm guessing. What you want is for it to harden, not crack, and not cloud.

You might call the company who made your vanish and see what they recommend.
DLKeur

What a Blunder!

Postby artprints » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't know what I was thinking at the time!
I Had an art fart or something? :cry:

Thanks so much for your advice and will give the lamp and fan a try!
Will also call the company tomorrow as well! Should have stuck with my satin finish.

What a BLUNDER! :oops:

I will let you guys know what happens!
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
artprints

Postby bergina » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I would love to see a picture of your dog paintings.
Fellow dog artist,
Al
bergina

Gallery: View Gallery